1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You may be responding to a post here, but it's not mine.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

She isn't.

3. YankeeFan

Yep. Wondering if anyone will admit to having a fat finger.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

From his FB page -- he is totally running for president.

Mark Zuckerberg
    42 mins ·
    This is a sad day for our country. The decision to end DACA is not just wrong. It is particularly cruel to offer young people the American Dream, encourage them to come out of the shadows and trust our government, and then punish them for it.

The young people covered by DACA are our friends and neighbors. They contribute to our communities and to the economy. I've gotten to know some Dreamers over the past few years, and I've always been impressed by their strength and sense of purpose. They don't deserve to live in fear.

DACA protects 800,000 Dreamers -- young people brought to this country by their parents. Six months from today, new DACA recipients will start to lose their ability to work legally and will risk immediate deportation every day.

It's time for Congress to act to pass the bipartisan Dream Act or another legislative solution that gives Dreamers a pathway to citizenship. For years, leaders from both parties have been talking about protecting Dreamers. Now it's time to back those words up with action. Show us that you can lead. No bill is perfect, but inaction now is unacceptable.

Our team at FWD.us has been working alongside Dreamers in this fight, and we'll be doing even more in the weeks ahead to make sure Dreamers have the protections they deserve.

If you live in the US, call your members of Congress and tell them to do the right thing. We have always been a nation of immigrants, and immigrants have always made our nation stronger. You can learn more and get connected at Dreamers.FWD.us.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There is an earthly reason. I said it in two posts. I am sure that various journalism organizations have tried certifications. Either way, the reason why we have never had widespread adoption of anything like that is that it probably offers little by way of competitive advantage. If I am wrong about that, though, you should go out create your standards and sell your certification and see what kind of adoption it gets.

I wasn't responding to an imaginary post. I was saying that either you make a certification voluntary -- and then it comes down to whether it offers a competitive advantage to get certified (which is why other industries have them and likely why journalism doesn't).

However, if the idea was that it will be mandatory (not voluntary). ... well, then you no longer have a free press.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Relatedly, is there a movie that is going to age worse than "The Social Network," which depicted him as a vindictive Asperger's misfit?

Donny in his element likes this.
  7. YankeeFan

It's time for Congress to act to pass the bipartisan Dream Act or another legislative solution that gives Dreamers a pathway to citizenship. For years, leaders from both parties have been talking about protecting Dreamers. Now it's time to back those words up with action. Show us that you can lead. No bill is perfect, but inaction now is unacceptable.

Trump, unlike previous presidents who have usurped Congress' powers, as Congress allowed them to, just gave this back to Congress, where it belongs.

Under DACA, they had no path to citizenship.

If congress acts, Trump will have helped Dreamers.

And, if they include border security in the bill, we may not need to deal with this issue every couple of decades.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It was me by accident. There's always a split-second glitch when you go back to the main forum so what you think you're clicking you're really not and end up hitting something else.

poindexter and YankeeFan like this.
  9. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I totally believe you, Trump, the GOP and the rest of the right wing totally want to help Dreamers.

For sure.

A huge priority for Republicans these days.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure what I'm talking about has not been tried. Accreditation/certification has been done with educational programs, as noted above. But not in practice, and not one that requires continuing education and periodic renewal.

The competitive advantage would likely take years to show up, though, and we all know how patient media company suits are. But really, it's not a whole lot different than being, say, good enough for the Plain Dealer or not.

Major publications already have standards in place for who they hire. Just formalize it and tweak it into something that could be adopted universally.

Then, profit!

YankeeFan likes this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I kind of agree with this. For a body that is constantly reminding the public about how important they are to the legislative process, I think Congress - "both sides" - has gotten way too comfortable kicking major decisions on major issues down the road so they don't and won't have to defend their votes, whether it is war powers authorization, the budget or immigration. They'll let the President take the political hit or tuck some provision into the bottom of an unrelated bill.

12. YankeeFan

Having 800,000 people live in Limbo, under a temporary, unsustainable program is no solution.

People need to be here legally, and with a path to citizenship -- if they want it -- or they need to go.

If the nation's will is to put these folks on a path to citizenship, then it will happen.

This isn't a "punt". It's the very opposite of that.

We either fix the situation, or we don't.

And, it's an opportunity for Democrats to show what matters to them. If they want this done, they may have to COMPROMISE -- which I keep hearing is a good thing -- and also agree to fund border security.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.