1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

No. Building a border wall/fence in the 21st century for hundreds of billions? That would be the most wasteful expenditure of federal funding in my lifetime. A wall keeps out nothing.

What reasonable justification is there for building a wall? What effectiveness would it ever have? Its like fighting Maginot Line style against ISIS.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Who gives a shit? Live your life and stop worrying about it. In fact, by fucking with something that was perfectly fine, you risk hurting a lot of OTHER Americans who live with and work with and do business with those people.

Many of us had grandparents who came here from somewhere else. They came through Ellis Island, and for the most part, if they didn't have pus-filled marks all over their bodies, they were waved on through. They were willing to do the shitty jobs nobody else wanted because it was better here than where they had come from, and they used that opportunity as a steeping stone -- mostly for future generations.

If you want to get hysterical about terrorists infiltrating the country, fine. Let's not open up the borders the way it was during that golden period of immigration. But in this case, we are talking about people who have lived their whole lives here and are as American as anyone is. Things were stable with a "don't ask, don't tell" approach. The ONLY reason to take that and create uncertainty around their status is: 1) the obvious: bigotry, or 2) stupidity: take away (to all of our detriment) the productivity and economic growth those people contribute, which amounts to at least tens of billions of dollars a year.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

No, because the wall is a financial boondoggle that will cost billions and billions we don't have to spend. Hire more border guards. Put more boots on the ground.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think you need to substitute "and" for "or" in that last sentence.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL. Compromise isn't as popular as I was told it was.

Sad that you would deport Dreamers before compromising at all.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Fun fact: For the lowest-estimate cost of building The Wallâ„¢, you could hire more than 125,000 Border Patrol agents.

7. YankeeFan

The deadline is the lawsuit challenging DACA.

8. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

How many people just said they would be OK with additional funding for border security?

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

That's not what I said. But to clarify, Congress should easily and without debate pass a bill that protects Dreamers' rights. I believe the bill should include some simple path to citizenship, but from this pathetic administration and Congressional leadership I'd settle for the same employment authorization and no deportation for renewable two-year limits they have under DACA.

Such a bill would be easily passed.

10. YankeeFan

Sure. And the next President could assign them to focus on climate change, not border enforcement.

11. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

The Party of Talk Radio is never, ever, ever going to pass a bill which allows for dreamers to become citizens.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. I think I know what you are talking about. I was busy trying to edit it before you psoted, to make it clear that we are talking about productivity that creates goods and services and benefits all of us as a piece of our economy. It's stupid to mess with a group of people that not only aren't a problem (in the aggregate) for anyone, but who are economically intertwined with all of our lives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.