1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

No.

That statement reminds me of the old Bill Burr routine about the difference between intelligence and athleticism:

"If you read a defense, white or black, that's an intelligent move, right?

But if you take off from the foul line, jump over nine other dudes, and throw the shit down, those other nine guys aren't standing there like, 'Fuck, why didn't I think of that shit?' "

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

#wordsmatter

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't mean that he is "fundamentally sound." I mean that he shoots free throws in a way that makes him successful at it. But Stephen Curry doesn't have 90 percent conferred on him by proclamation next year. He has to keep doing it right.

Typefitter is fetishizing "expertise."

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If I'm trying to figure out how to do something statistically, the section of my bookshelf I start with is the one where the statistics books are stored.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

That's pretty funny.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

7. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Well then.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

So Get Out.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

If it were up to certain folks they'd start playing Dona Dona on a loop.

10. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I love how defending experience and expertise, believing some people know more about certain subjects than others—and that some people's opinions are therefore more valid—is a point of contention on a board populated mostly by smart people.

I have no problem deferring to @doctorquant in math, say. He's better at it than me. That doesn't mean he's infallible, no. Statistically speaking though—Hey!—he'd be right more often than me.

And as for deVos attending a public school, I view experience and education as two strains of the same process—the one that leads to expertise.

Gee, what do you call it when you talk to experts to find answers to difficult questions? Oh yeah. Journalism.

Otherwise known as "fetishizing expertise."

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Reminds me: How's his new immigration policy coming?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.