1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

It's not.

YankeeFan likes this.
  2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't understand what the disagreement here is, other than whether Betsy DeVos attending private high school is disqualifying or not, which is pretty narrow.

The rest of it is you assigning opinions to posters that they haven't actually expressed.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

As one of my bosses often explained to Mad Dog Russo back in the day, "There are opinions and informed opinions. One is less valuable than the other.'

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

See also: health care, The greatest.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That was always a dumb argument. I'm with the people who want to replace it with a better one.

I do think that strong preference for a SecEd should be given to someone who has run a school system or a university, or at least been a governor with a track record of improving education.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Pffft. Next you'll be wanting the cabinet officials who run scientific and technical departments to have training in science.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Although it's overplayed, I think there is some merit in the argument about her never attending private school. Most of that resides in the fact that the more distance there is between something and you, if you've never participated in it, the more difficult it can be for you to understand it on a core level.

I went to Catholic school for 12 years. My sisters went for eight, then all attended the same public school in their high school years. They still tell stories about what a different experience it is, with a much more diverse student body. There are many stories I heard and wrote about in years of covering preps that showed me how different it could be.

On a fundamental level, there is a huge gap between the mindset of a person who went to a public school and a person who didn't in terms of "getting it." Is it the best legitimate argument against her? No, but it's not nothing. To dismiss it entirely smacks of knowledge of the subject based largely on reading and academic theory rather than real-world interaction.

Riptide likes this.
  9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

"Pumpkin and Pumpernickel told me I was the best president they've ever seen. Believe me. These cats were great guys. Hard-working, blue collar cats. Not that they had collars. I picked them up without collars. But if they had collars, they'd have been blue. Believe me. The cats work in the coal mine. I told them, I'm going to take care of you, Pumpkin and Pumpernickel. I'm going to make it so you guys, you cats, who I'm very popular with, I've always been a cat man, are winning again and can pump the coal out of the ground without the government telling the cats they can't do that. So I told them, Pumpkin and Pumpernickel, that I'm on their side. No way would I have taken those cats and made a hairpiece out of their hair. That's not something I'd do. Fake news. Believe me."

Iron_chet, bigpern23, Riptide and 3 others like this.
  10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

#squadgoals

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I wonder how President Obama or Secretary Clinton pulled off "getting it" without ever stepping foot in a public-school classroom, while I, entirely the product of public schools, can't seem to.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Uh, neither of them was Secretary of Education.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.