1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rainman, Dec 29, 2016.

1. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Show vs. Cass was utter crap, but Show vs. Strowman has been amazing both times.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  2. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If was thinking they rug it where the ring collapsed, and the entire cage folded in on top of the ring (and the wrestlers, which would have sucked for them).

But what they did was fine too, and even had storyline continuity with the superplex on the "doubly-reinforced" ring.

First time that I can ever recall in 32 years of watching wrestling that reinforcing the ring actually came into play as opposed to being just a cliche.

4. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

That double northern lights by Jordan on Cena tho....what a .feat of strength

5. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

If this truly is the end for Big Show (which apparently it was), it has come full circle.

1st WWF appearance: throws Stone Cold through a cage wall

Last WWE appearance: is thrown through a cage wall by Braun.

6. Baron Scicluna

Terrific tribute from Braun:

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Did he announce he was retiring?

8. Baron Scicluna

Well, there was this, from last March:

"As for the future, Big Show revealed that he will no longer be wrestling after his contract expires in February of 2018.

“No last matches, no fanfare, just ride off into the sunset and disappear,” said Big Show. “That’s more my style. I’ll find something else to do that is inspiring—and let these new kids take the business and the reigns and let them build the future. I wish them all luck. Everything changes. We’ve got a great group of talent that deserves the spotlight."

Big Show’s plan for Wrestlemania and retirement

So maybe he'll take a little time off to sell the cage crash, then come back and do one or two more things. I would think he'd work a couple of months after Feb. 2018 to at least get in one more Wrestlemania moment, and the ensuing paycheck.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I saw that in a google search, but it was being made to sound like last night was his last match ever.
    I could see him as a surprise entrant in the Rumble, maybe another standoff there with Strowman, and then another appearance in the Andre battle royal at WM to (as you noted) get one last paycheck. He could be a 2018 HOF pick as well. He's certainly going in at some point.
    Kind of sad to see the big lug go. Another former WCW guy hanging it up. It's like another piece of my youth disappearing. Are Jericho, Mysterio and Jarrett the only ones still active on a semi-regular basis?

10. Baron Scicluna

Depends on your definition of former WCW guy. During the dying days, a young Styles was there. Christopher Daniels had a match in Nitro and got hurt, although he finished the match.

Dustin Rhodes, of course, is still active. You have other guys on the independent circuit. Sean Waltman and Buff Bagwell still wrestle. Shane Helms and Shannon Moore are still active. Ricky Morton and Robert Gibson are still a nostalgia act. Ultimo Dragon and Jushin Liger still work in Japan.

Plus, Mean Mark Callous hasn't really made an official retirement announcement yet.

11. Baron Scicluna

For years, I've wanted John Cena to turn heel.

I was wrong.

But I still think, if he ever did, it would be epic as long as the E didn't fuck it up.

12. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

He is a heel....just only to 250000 women who watch E on some Wednesday's and to poor Bryan who has to squeeze into the penguin suit to follow the Cena house rules.

Draft saved Draft deleted