1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stephen King's movies ranked

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Sep 7, 2017.

1. http://www.vulture.com/2017/09/every-stephen-king-movie-ranked-from-worst-to-best.html

Vulture ranks all of King's movies. I didn't know there 40 of them. 41 actually, Vulture omitted Salem's Lot. Also The Langoliers and Storm of the Century
    They made a lot of bad to not good adaptations of his stories.

The Green Mile is way, waaay, to low. So is Dreamcatcher.

Confession: I have never been that impressed with The Shining.

My top 10:
    1. Shawshank ... This is not a debate and it's not really close.
    2. The Green Mile
    3. It (mini-series)
    4. Stand By Me
    5. The Running Man
    (edited)
    6: Dreamcatcher
    7: Creepshow
    8: Storm of the Century (not on the list)
    10: The Mist (I only watched once and won't watch it again the end KILLED me.)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Shawshank and Stand By Me are an easy top two for me. Misery would have to be in the top five. Maximum Overdrive is definitely the worst, one of the worst movies ever. But Dreamcatcher is really bad too. Unfathomably bad considering the talent that worked on it.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

man, there's a lot of shitty movies on that list. Stand by Me and Shawshank are probably the least representative of his overall oeuvre, and are easily the best two movies on there. The Shining is sometimes scary, sometimes laughably bad. The movie, anyway. I didn't read the book.

4. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Pretty cool list. I didn't even realize they made a movie based on The Cell. That's actually one of my favorite Stephen King books. But here's my list of movie adaptations:

1. Shawshank (like you said, not even up for debate)
    2. Stand by Me
    3. Green Mile
    4. Misery
    5. The Shining

I think one of the movies that was underrated was Hearts in Atlantis. I know it's a loose adaptation on a short story and really doesn't have much to do with the actual Hearts in Atlantis book, but the movie is pretty good. And count me in the Dreamcatcher fan club. I know some people hate it, but I always liked that story and thought the movie adaptation wasn't terrible.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's not a great movie, but Cat's Eye was kind of entertaining, I think mostly because of the actors in it.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I agree that Shawshank and Stand By Me are Nos. 1 and 2, but I'm a little torn on which one should be on top, being well aware that my affinity for Stand By Me has a lot to do with me being around the same age as those kids when it came out.

The Mist should've been good, but Thomas Jane is godawful in it, and turned the ending into a comedy.

Misery is good, if pedestrian. Creepshow and The Running Man would probably round out my top 5, and it's no coincidence they're also the ones that take themselves the least seriously.

7. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Stand By Me is a solid No. 2 for me and if Shawshank hadn't been so damn good, Stand By Me would be No. 1. Like you, I relate to those kids.

Both of those are definitely in my Top 10 movies list.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There's a lot more than 41 if you count sequels, remakes, and made-for-TV stuff. There were three Mangler films, two Carrie remakes (and one sequel), and nine(!) Children of the Corn movies and counting. There was another version of Maximum Overdrive, some collections of his "dollar baby" movies, a made-for-TV remake of The Shining, The Stand miniseries, etc.
    If you have a lot of hours to kill, the Now Playing Podcast has been picking through the various series for a couple of years now. I think they put the actual count at 70 or 80 that they'll eventually get through.
    Poor bastards.

Now Playing Podcast - A Movie Review Podcast

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Craig Toomey is super pissed no one mentioned his movie top 5.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'd go with 'The Shining' as No. 1.
    And I'd have 'Misery' No. 2, although it is my favorite novel.

11. They didn't count any sequels.
    As I noted earlier, its odd they included IT (the network mini-series) but not Salem's Lot. You're right the also omitted the Langoliers, or Storm of the Century and I'm sure some others.

Was The Cell the Jennifer Lopez movie?

I also enjoy Dreamcatcher. I thought it was one of his better movies.

12. Mr. Sluggo

Mr. Sluggo Active Member

Delores Claiborne anyone?

Draft saved Draft deleted