1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don't blame Obama for anything he did. Not really. Do I think Obama was ever particularly interested in creating legislative priorities that could have got him the DACA law if he'd been willing to give the Republicans something else? Not really, but I also understand why he was like that.

But, at some point, this process has to end, doesn't it? Don't we have to pass some laws? Even if they're not perfect? Even if they leave someone crying into a TV camera?

Like I said, I'm for the DACA youths. Keep them here. But, in order to keep them here, again, guess what, you may not be able to get "all" other things on immigration. Make priorities. Choose.

Let's talk naive for a second. It's naive to think everyone is guided by the same moral compass. It's naive to think one's moral compass always points true. It's naive to think that all the "good stuff" Obama did will stay intact when not everyone agrees it's "good stuff." And, finally - and this one's scary for far-left liberals - it's naive to think that anyone who doesn't agree with you automatically has explicit or implicit racist/xenophobic intentions.

We have been living in an America full of child politics. All emotion, all will, all "I saw this on my Facebook feed and it ruined my day." It's not a way to govern an America. I'm fine with the DACA youths. Keep them. But you may lose something else in the process.

If the Democratic Party is interested in compromising less, then it can actually start winning elections at the local, state and congressional level. But that, too, means, actually choosing a platform a majority of people will vote for. Which means making choices.

Batman likes this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It ain't that simple. In general, the out party becomes the in party when the current ins are perceived to have fucked up bad. It's neither liberal nor conservative ideologically, but the dominant mass of voters has a status quo bias. Look at Obamacare. It was real unpopular until it looked like it might go away and now it's popular, because it's the new status quo. If your default thought is "here's how we can improve things," which it is in the Democrats' case, then you're always going to be swimming upstream. Just the way it works. Things have to get really bad, as in Iraq War plus Katrina plus the financial crisis bad, for voters to go with change in a significant way.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

CNN just went to Trump speaking to reporters with the head of Kuwait. Only, there was a problem with the audio, and Trump was speaking very, very, verrrrrry slow.

It's the sort of blooper that right-wing media will jump on as some sort of conspiracy by the libruhl media to make Trump look even more stupider than he already does.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

5. Songbird

But Hillary tripped over the curb and did all that hacking coughing1 /YF

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

And, took a nap on election night, during which, everything changed.

I love that. Low stamina Hillary was fast asleep as her works crumbled.

7. Songbird

And I bet Chelsea still calls Bill "Daddy".

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

This would be a good idea and I don't give a damn who gets credit for it.

Trump, Schumer agree to pursue plan to repeal the debt ceiling

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd love to be there when the Freedom Caucus here's about that.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I saw this today while thinking about all the white men who have the luxury of dismissing and disparaging "identity politics" and will likely never recognize that their blind spot about that helps perpetuate business as usual. Which is why I quickly bore of their thoughts on the subject.

Imagine if I were her, though. I'd be too pissed off to be bored.

12. KeyboardKing

KeyboardKing New Member

You'd think a post-modern would know commenting on black Twitter during work hours continues the white-cis patriarchy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.