1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And lets be clear - there are some that could think ignoring the threat is the patriotic thing to do - not giving in to the liberal media. If Limbaugh made the remarks outside of hurricane season - not when a Cat 5 storm was approaching - it would have been fine. To do so - and using the public airwaves to do it was reckless.

cranberry likes this.
  2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Limbaugh has a huge house in Palm Beach and it's where he broadcasts his show. For now

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I know a lot people who hate liberal policies but are liberal as hell in their personal lives. I guess that doesn't make them ala carte conservatives, though; just hypocrites.

4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

LOL. Plenty of hypocrites in the world, but I'd be shocked if more than 10 percent of self-proclaimed liberals live the way they vote. Hypocrisy is part and parcel of the ideology.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL. He never said to ignore the threat.

It's funny. Is there a single Rush listener -- in Florida even -- who misunderstood him?

Is there some evidence that Rush listeners are not taking the storm seriously because of what he said.

The only folks who appear to be comfy are liberals who are either dumb, or who are playing dumb for political purposes.

6. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

If what Rush said is correct, what's the solution? Media shouldn't cover hurricanes?

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Most seasons with major hurricanes since 1851:

1950 --- 8
    2005 --- 7
    1999, 1996, 1964, 1961, 1955, 1926 --- 6

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Too bad we're not just speaking about hurricanes otherwise you might have a point.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I didn't think you really wanted to include ice storms and blizzards in your list of catastrophic weather events aided by global warming. But if you must . . . :)

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

@cranberry ... I don't know the science all that intimately, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to find that severe-weather events really haven't increased in frequency (at least not enough to conclude such without a huge risk of an error). These are, by their nature, relatively rare events, which means there's a TON of uncertainty surrounding any estimate of their frequency.

@BTExpress ... Increasingly frequent ice storms/blizzards in a particular region can absolutely be squared with AGW, given that AGW is theorized to change patterns in wind, etc. A heretofore relatively dry (but cold) area might become wetter via AGW and start cranking out more ice storms/blizzards.

franticscribe, Inky_Wretch and Hermes like this.
  11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I was primarily thinking about tornadoes, droughts and flooding, but, sure, you can bring ice storms and blizzards into the mix.

12. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Now here is a great opportunity for us all to call this a wash. I will take a chance and speak for most liberals and say that this is exactly what we think about conservatives. It seems pointless to keep calling each other the same name. If I gave an example, surely you could come back with one of your own. What is the frickin point?

Not at you personally but I would think that a chat board that has sports as it's main focus, surely, sees the similarities between sports fans and political fans. Maybe I am just stating the obvious and everyone sees it and just considers it fun back and forth. In that case, carry on and I will not criticize.

(it's just the "morals" hypocrisy part that gets me every time)

Songbird likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.