1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Would have gone from a category 3 to a category 5 while she napped.

QYFW likes this.
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I don't blame Putin every time I spill my soda or my wifi goes out. So that puts me a level above about 68 percent of the country. :)

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

"If water overflowing the cup is bad, why are you complaining about water going into it? Shouldn't you worry about water coming out?"

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Worry about both to your heart's content. Just don't think you could have somehow prevented the water going in. That's human arrogance getting in the way.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Ice storms, the worst of all winter storms, occur when the temperature is right around freezing. So sure a slightly warmer and wetter climate can create more ice storms in northern climes.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Fascinating that Limbaugh was whining about corporations making money.
    And he irresponsibility said he thinks the storm isn't going to hit land. We know, of course, that he's a meteorologist. And of course, his expertise couldn't possibly be tainted by his political views. So he implied to his minions, most of whom are incapable of independent thought, that staying put is a great political statement. Nice work.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Ice storms are the devil. Most of the panic in the SE when it comes to snow comes from experience with an ice storm glazing the roads and dropping limbs onto ice laden power lines and losing power. Driving on hills covered with glaze ice under snow is dangerous, I don't care if you grew up driving in Chicago.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I always love northern transplants laughing about school closures and such during southern winter storms - until they experience a quarter inch of ice coating everything.

9. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

They don't have ice in the north?

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Nod. No road salt. No snow plows. Hell, no snow shovels. The only sand that's getting spread is on Interstate overpasses.

No one here has snow tires, let alone studded snow tires. Precious few own snow chains.

It looks funny as hell on the TV, but if you get caught out in it and are trying to get home you suddenly realize just how many hills you travel and how steep they are. The road home is an ice rink. That little hill with a stop sign, the one that T's with the cross street? Stopping at the bottom is no longer a given, and you find yourself praying that it's a ditch and not a tree or a steep drop-off.

11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Catching up on this thread, I have to ask: Are we back to having to explain that global warming/climate change creates extreme weather events of the extremely cold kind as well as the extremely hot kind, messing with all kinds of systems and patterns, or am I missing something?

The person who said the better term would be "global weirding" was damn near spot on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.