1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First-person feature stories?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Skylar, Sep 12, 2017.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Obama era is correct however.

2. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Remember the terrible SB Nation piece about a memorable football game nobody watched in Adventure Bay?

QYFW likes this.
  3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

The citizens of Adventure Bay are wildly reckless. Not a day goes by that something or someone doesn't need saving.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Here's one you promoted enthusiastically on your Twitter feed at the time.

What about it worked for you?

Dr. V’s Magical Putter

5. Skylar

Skylar New Member

Hey, there is a good example. I thought the first-person in it was for the most part useful and needed. I did think there were times when it interefered a little bit.

6. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I love that story. It's one of the few I can remember when and where I first read it.

I think there are some writers, like JJS, where you kind of want them to spin you a yarn. You want to sit beside them at the bar and listen to them tell you a story. Charlie Pierce is like that for me, too. So you forgive and even savour the digressions and borderline structural chaos because you know you'll enjoy the hell out of it, and you know that it will all come together at the end.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

That SB Nation piece about Mayor Goodway taking over as the boys basketball coach and overcoming sexism to win over the townsfolk was actually halfway decent.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

9. AD

AD Active Member

osnos' experience was unique and illuminating about north korea: the way he got access, the way he was handled, is a great lens into viewing the regime's mentality. again, when it's used to advance our understanding of the subject -- not as filler for what's NOT there: access and good reporting -- first-person can be necessary and wonderful. but it's a judgement call. For writers, the "I" looks like, is as powerful as, and should be treated like an exclamation point ("!"): Overuse drains it of its power. Misuse makes you look like an idiot.

Riptide likes this.
  10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

That story has stuck with me more than any I've read this year. It was so well done.

Double Down likes this.
  11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

People said the same thing about my work on hierarchical linear modelling as applied to the multi-dimensionality of environmental complexity.

Big Circus, Songbird and YankeeFan like this.
  12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You haven't lived until you've opened a vein and drafted discovery requests.

lcjjdnh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted