1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rainman, Dec 29, 2016.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Speaking of, to ask a Rainman question - Who'd get the biggest pop from his return now? It absolutely has to be Punk. And by association, I'd probably have AJ Lee at #2. From there, I'm not sure. Maybe Cody Rhodes, if presented like a big deal?

2. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

If Ric Flair' theme song went off next week on Raw, he would get the longest standing ovation. That said, I know that is sort of cheating here.

Throwing another name that you did not mention, how about Hulk Hogan?

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  3. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

The question also makes me wonder, where are they going with all these fakes entrances? Or I am giving them too much credit in thinking that this shtick is building to something?

4. sgreenwell

Hogan and Flair, eh, they've kind of never left to me, especially Flair. Hogan, I always expected he would be back with WWE at some point. I think Punk's pop would beat both of them.

5. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

I think if they secretly clear Angle or Bryan to wrestle, and they all of a sudden pull out the suplex or running knee, I think there'd be a big pop for those.

Flair's pop would be more out of respect for what he's had to overcome.

As for true return, I'd say Punk would top them all. For a consolation, I'd mention Rey Mysterio if he ever gets a reunion tour with WWE, maybe as a surprise opponent for Neville or whoever's the top cruiserweight at the time.

sgreenwell likes this.
  6. sgreenwell

Mysterio is a good one. I think he'll eventually be back with WWE, for a couple matches or a retirement match.

7. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

Still holding hope for this. I think it will eventually happen with Angle

This is where I was getting at with my Flair mention.

Loved Mysterio in WCW, hated him in the WWE, especially after Guerrero passed away.

Not a return, but Omega would get a huge pop if he ever decides to join the WWE.[/QUOTE]

8. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Not as big as Punk or AJ Lee but I think in the right spot they could get a pretty big pop out of Lita. Right audience right angle if she was going to have a comeback/retirement match against Charlotte or Sasha I think the place would go bananas. Maybe not for the music like a traditional big return pop but definitely for that first move.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Hogan used to get huge pops with his return. While some might not be so forgiving over his tape, I'd think most fans would still cheer.

Punk would be huge, especially if it happened in Chicago.

Flair has never really left, but I'd think he'd get a louder than normal pop because of his health issues.

Austin would always get a great pop.

If he were still alive, Savage would have gotten an incredible pop with a return.

10. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Not sure it was a work, considering the history of crazy in the Warrior family, but Dana Warrior didn't like Ziggles' mentioning of her husband at all.

I missed Raw and Smackdown this week dealing with the effects of Irma. Still no power.

11. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

A lot like when Bayley gave Goldust (pre-heel turn) a stuffed bear with Dusty polka dots, and Anderson & Gallows tore its head off. Cody, Brandi and family did not take too kindly to that.

12. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Is that her in the white? There's no way they didn't clear it with her and make it a work if they knew she was right there 2 rows from the ring right?

Draft saved Draft deleted