1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Heh. When I grew up, "Made in Japan" was the norm.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Politically, this is a fight Trump can't lose:

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

ESPN won't ignore a single one. I'd expect ESPN will chronicle kneelers at each game.

ESPN has been a driving force of the discussion. It wants nothing more than to enmesh sports and politics. It justifies its personnel and editorial decisions.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

History isn't so sure. Would the civil rights movement have gotten as much steam if whites had been universally absent? I've got to think multi-racial participation had some role.

There are other examples of people withholding experiences or opinions until another similarly situated person breaks silence. Then an issue can really take off.

Deskgrunt50 and BadgerBeer like this.
  5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Are such protests, if they happen, not newsworthy in light of the Trump comment and League and union response? Should ESPN ignore? Not in my book. Will they be muzzled? That's the interesting one.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Florida’s Poop Nightmare Has Come True

"Pollution reports submitted to Florida’s Department of Environmental Protection show that, due to power outages and flooding caused by Irma, human waste has been spilling into streets, residences, and waterways across the entire state. At the time of this article’s publication, at least 113 “Public Notices of Pollution” had been submitted to the DEP. Combined, those discharge reports showed more than 28 million gallons of treated and untreated sewage released in 22 counties. The total amount is surely much more; at least 43 of those reports listed either an “unknown” or “ongoing” amount of waste released, and new reports continue to roll in—sometimes as many as a dozen per hour.

In other words, Irma was a literal shitstorm. But it’s no laughing matter. Sewage spills pose a major threat to public health, and they’re likely to become more common due to two increasingly connected crises facing America: an aging infrastructure and climate change."

8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I have a simple request. Just respond to what I actually say and don't put words in my mouth or infer things to suit your argument. It's a cheap tactic.

It takes nuance, but leads to productive conversation instead of Red Team vs. Blue Team BS.

Thank you.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, how dare those nuns not be able to cite their religion when they choose to tell their employees how to use their compensation.

10. YankeeFan

To be clear...

Kaepernick isn't in the league, so Trump wasn't specifically referring to him.

Secondly, Trump didn't call anyone a son of a bitch. His wish was that some NFL owner's response, to a (current) NFL player who didn't show respect for the National Anthem, would be for the owner to call the player a son of a bitch, have him taken off of the field, and fired.

Just so we're clear.

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Where's the eyeroll emoji?

12. YankeeFan

Yes. It's very cheap to point out that your current stand is meaningless, based on previous stands you've taken.

Look, if you have a principled take on an issue like the First Amendment, and are consistent in it, that would be great, and I would respect that.

But, don't wrap your current argument is the Constitution when you don't apply it equally in all situations.

Just criticize the current statements by the President. Otherwise, you're full of shit, and deserve to be called on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.