1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Playing it down the middle. Anything more would have eroded the already decaying fan base.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Because that was in his heart and he regrets how it all played out?

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Villanueva said today he asked to stay near the front of the group (which was near the edge of the tunnel) and stepped out to see the flag. As was mentioned, he felt badly for making his teammates look bad. Whats interesting is that Ben Roethlisberger released a statement saying he regretted his decision and won't do it again. Meanwhile, Eric Decker's wife made it very clear her husband felt misled by the plan.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Here is a link to more of what Villanueva had to say today.

Al Villanueva, in his own words 

I still think he should have spoken after the game rather than leave his coaches and teammates to answer for him.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I suspect that finger is plenty closer to the pulse than you realize.

I know it's customary here to presume everything he does idiotic, but solely from a political perspective, I think this may end up a shrewd play for him. He just got all those mainstream media outlets he hates to spend days defending millionaire black athletes for disrespecting our anthem and flag. And he just manufactured a big ole pseudo controversy that millions of Americans will interpret as being between those who love America and those who dislike it. My lord, talk about serving up red meat to his base.

Those angered by Trump's comments won't vote for him anyways. But I suspect this did help him regain support amongst those who voted for him but were losing faith.

Remember how after his election we were shocked to discover that Trump things we thought so stupid actually resonated with Middle America? I think this is one of those things.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I think we all understand that Trump instinctively appeals to his fellow white racist Middle American base. We will see how beneficial that is in the long run. Got him this far.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Trump has been able to "connect" with a segment of society through his rhetoric and actions that wasn't part of the national conversation previously - and they weren't part of the conversation because they "didn't speak the language." Trump connected that everyday language and sentiment heard on golf course, bars, barber shops, farms and local grange halls and made it part of "official Washington."

8. RickStain

I think you underestimate how much Trump won on trap game status and people assuming he had no chance. Every single Trump supporter and every single Republican reluctantly voting for him isn't enough against a moderate Democratic turnout.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

10. TheSportsPredictor

11. TheSportsPredictor

12. RickStain

That's an uppity question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.