1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I think the other Rock runs and wins, too

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

What issue wouldn't be OK to kneel for?

Foreign intervention?
    Abortion?
    America's response to climate change?

Which issues are OK, and which aren't? If a player knelt to protest the presence of abortion in America, would you be offended? Or America's inability to address climate change?

If a player knelt for either of those issues, would ESPN then have long debates about those issues as well?

Also...has Deadspin ranked the owner's letters and/or gameday responses from best to worst?

YankeeFan and HanSenSE like this.
  3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I hope that's not supposed to make us feel better.

It painfully depresses me that these sort of "celebrity" candidacies--for stars with no public service, governmental or other relevant work experience--are now being discussed as legit possibilities. One of the starkest reminders yet that Idiocracy increasingly seems more prophecy than fiction.

4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Did I miss the discussion of German elections? Nazis... oops, sorry... hard right got 94 seats, Commies picked up 69. Ought to be quite interesting over the next few years.

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Stoney, in the last week, Ive become convinced Id rather have Jimmy Kimmel as my politican than most of the actual politicans

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I blame Al Franken.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Does Trump really want to talk about anyone's ratings being "way down" given his polling?" He's back in the mid-30s according to CBS.
    The cross tabs are interesting - particularly the last thing about the weighting.
    https://docs.cbsnews.com/20/toplines-cbs-pm-poll-9-25-17.pdf

Total Respondents 1,202

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Total Republicans 283 - weighted to 299 (24 percent)
    Total Democrats 425 - weighted to 388 (32 percent)
    Total Independents 494 - weighted to 515 (44 percent)

The "weight" is a way for pollsters to balance out respondents to what they assume the political party breakdown is when they put the poll into the field against those they actually talk to. If you talk to 1,000 people, it likely won't breakdown exactly how people are actually registered. Judging from this info though, many GOP now consider themselves independents, and those left ID-ing as GOP are skewing the Presidential polling to make Trump look like he's doing better than he actually is. The breakdown by gallup last year ahead of the election was 48 Dem and Dem lean ind. 44 GOP and GOP lean ind. I added the percentages. Sure this is one poll and only as good and honest as those who answered the questions, but CBS/NYT does have a good rep.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Minnesota has been a leader here... they elected Jesse Ventura as governor. I have no info if they ended up happy with him or not.

From what I've seen and read, Minnesotans are happy with Franken. And he does his homework and takes the job seriously. He avoided comedy and national interviews he until recently to prove he's serious about the work.

After a recount, lawsuits and all, Franken won the seat in 2008 by a few hundred votes.

He won reelection pretty convincingly.

Vombatus likes this.
  9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Politico reporter Rachael Bade makes a good point while talking with Shepard Smith: The anthem kneel wasn't even getting much attention anymore until Trump blew it up with his SOB remarks in Alabama. Now it's a four-alarm fire.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    Inky_Wretch, HanSenSE and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  10. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Wonder if Shep Smith's days are numbered at FNC. Telling the truth is frowned upon there.

Tarheel316 likes this.
  11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

That is the bone I pick often with the "protest, but don't kneel" crowd. They can't come up with another way the point can be made.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  12. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Pretty sure Shep's show has always been pretty straightforward and fair.

Neutral Corner and Deskgrunt50 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.