1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

In fairness, doesn't everyone boo the Cowboys?

Also this:

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I know, that's why I posted it.

I've heard louder booing in a stadium for the guy with stage fright at the urinal.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but you're from Philadelphia...

MisterCreosote likes this.
  5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

One thing that hasn't been addressed that probably won't be is the fact that grown adults have wrapped their own identities so much in these teams that they're furious over what a bunch of complete strangers working for a privately-held company do. Making spectacles of themselves and burning jerseys on Facebook Live because a bunch of people they've never met have a differing position than them. Part of that is due to NFL marketing, which has always done a brilliant job of convincing dupes that it was important to support "your team" because you love "your team." Well, Art Modell and Bob Irsay proved decades ago it's their team; it was never yours and never will be. The other part is how fanatical our culture gets over nonsense. It's a form of entertainment. It shouldn't define you.

Inky_Wretch and FileNotFound like this.
  7. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Were John Carlos and Tommie Smith making a difference when they protested during the anthem? I am trying to understand why the anthem is not the place to protest.

HanSenSE and SnarkShark like this.
  8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I lost several good friends (like, people I would've taken a bullet for) because I refused to root for a dog-killing psychopath when he joined "our" team.

FileNotFound likes this.
  9. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Since people booed when the Cowboys knelt BEFORE the anthem last night, we must deduce that their unhappiness isn't about the anthem, but about black athletes expressing an opinion with which they disagree, or perhaps that those athletes expressed an opinion at all.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I didn't see it. But isn't it possible that people deduced that they were kneeling in anticipation of the anthem starting?

lakefront likes this.
  12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That Sean Spicer is considered a pariah, but David Frum, the author of George W. Bush's "Axis of Evil" line, is the editor of the Atlantic, a leader in the resistance, and someone Chris Jones would go work for is one of the mysteries in life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.