1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's almost like you can be a supporter of George W. Bush, who was compared to Hitler by the left, and his evil policies, but as long as you're loud enough in your denunciation of Trump, the left will forgive you and accept you into their good graces.

And, I'm sure that if Sean Spicer were to write an anti-Trump tell all book, he'd be a star on the left too.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Dude. Use the whole quote:

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

Riptide likes this.
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Axios reporting tentative Republican tax "reform" plan calls for an increase in the lowest income tax rate. Bound to be a vote winner!

5. YankeeFan

I agree. Kaeprenick has a pre-school level knowledge of civics and history. How else could you go on about the education and health care systems in Cuba, and compare them favorably to our own?

6. YankeeFan

An increase from 0%?

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Hang on, I need to check my list of conversations I have flagged for avoidance at all costs today. Keep in mind if I go radio silent that it's a long list and this could take a few.

1. Whether Chris Jones should work at "The Atlantic."

Well, fuck.

Carry on without me.

8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I think it has more to do with not knowing enough about how things actually operate in Cuba.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Do you hate America?
    You're on the attack every day.

See how that works?

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That's a good question. Rosa Parks was in 1955. Little Rock was in 1957. The March on Washington was in 1963. The Civil Rights Act was in 1964. Do I think Smith and Carlos' gloved salute - which they say wasn't linked to the black power/separatist movement but was read that way at the time - was unusually impactful? No. I think it's remembered (and generally misunderstood) because it's an iconic image.

(This is not a suggestion that the race question was "solved" by 1968. It was not then nor is it now. But in terms of it making a difference? I'd rank it below a lot of things.)

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

No, it's raising the lowest base rate. It's not a tax increase on the poor, but on the middle class. That'll go over well.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Is this really interesting to you? I'm on podcasts or NPR only for my commutes these days because hearing sports radio people talk patriotism and civil rights is painful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.