1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

Eight years? I've been lurking a lot longer than that, at least since before my 14-year-old son was born. At that time, it seemed like most of the posters really were sports journalists, & I didn't have much to add to their insider views. I think most of my posts have come in the last year or two.

In this case, I worked on U.S.-Spain issues in the federal government for a few years. Better to focus on the many horrifying and/or embarrassing things the President has said, and not this one thing he didn't screw up.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Honestly, that's the sort of thinking from the other side that got us into this mess in the first place. Kimmel wouldn't be any better and I bet he'd be the first to tell you as much.

People may bemoan "professional" politicians, but it's a job like any other nowadays. It requires some education on how the government works and how to govern if you're going to do it well. The job has evolved.

I'm not going to hire Bruce from Bayside to serve as General Manager of my professional football team just because he has an opinion any more than I'm going to vote for some moron who thinks having a stance on abortion or political correctness is all it takes to navigate the halls of the Capitol building in DC.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I thought he hated it when people try to erase history.

lakefront likes this.
  4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Some people actually wait until they have something worthwhile to say. Look into it, ya retweet bot

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

OK, so Luther Strange loses despite having Trump on his side. And then Bob Corker announces his retirement because he's vulnerable for not being on Trump's side.

GOP politics 2017. I don't get it, but I like it.

6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

The question remains... can the Dems take advantage? Need good candidates and to get asses to the polls.

First Dem name to pop up in Tennessee Senate race is James Mackler. Iraq war vet. Seems like the right resume to make a run in Tennessee, but I don't know a thing about him.

As for Alabama? Well, Moore seems like a bigoted, unhinged nutburger. So he'll hold that seat and until death.

J/K my Bama friends. I'd love to see the Dems run a good candidate and put some muscle into winning that seat.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The Democratic candidate is former U.S. Attorney Doug Jones, who successfully prosecuted the two surviving former Klansmen who bombed the 16th Street Baptist Church in Birmingham in 1963, killing four black teenage girls. He also worked as staff attorney for Sen. Howell Heflin in the 1980s and while in private practice won a $700 million judgment against Monsanto for illegal chemical dumping in Anniston.

He's about as qualified and morally sound a candidate as any party in any state could put forth.

I'd like to think he has a chance. But this is Alabama, so probably not.

8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Thanks. Read up on him a few minutes. Excellent resume and seems very qualified.

Then saw the initial poll. Moore 52, Jones 30.

Oof.

Well, that's a lot of undecided I guess. And I've grown wary of polls.

But still doesn't seem possible at this point.

9. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

No way Jones wins.

Morally sound? Maybe personally, who determines that and who really knows, but this line on his campaign site will doom him in Alabama -- "I will defend a woman’s right to choose and stand with Planned Parenthood."

Bye bye, Doug.

heyabbott likes this.
  10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Jones can't win in Alabama with a strong turnout. 1.3 million republicans showed up to vote for Trump. Not even 500,000 voted in the runoff.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Outing alert ... we might think @YankeeFan is a mere espresso machine repairman. In reality, he's a distinguished economist ...
    Will American Workers Get to Help Rebuild Puerto Rico?

12. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I SAID I WAS SORRY

SpeedTchr and Inky_Wretch like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.