1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rainman, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Ok, that was ... underwhelming.

Batman likes this.
  2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Felt like a rerun of the Samoa Joe match from great balls but not as good

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Brock Lesnar as champion has run its course. When he destroyed Cena and the other top-level guys at the beginning of his run, the novelty was great.
    Now it's just ... meh.
    Rewatching this match now, and it hit me that it was just like watching Hogan in the 80s, or Cena or Triple H in the 2000s, or Roman Reigns now, in how the champ faces the Monster of the Month, is seemingly pushed a little bit, then rallies and hits two or three signature moves and walks out with the win.
    It was boring and stale with those guys, and it's worse with Lesnar because he's not enough of a regular presence to make you feel much of anything when he wins. Those other guys at least wrestled enough to where you felt a sliver of a chance that they could lose, and you could hate them when they didn't. Lesnar has a match and then vanishes. There's no chance of him losing because he never wrestles any matches outside of PPVs and then he never loses a one-on-one match. It squashes credibility, and as a fan that sucks.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Guess you always have to take it with a grain of salt, but the segment with Cena on Raw Talk just now was great. He talked (with what seemed like some genuine emotion) about having to slow down, his role in the WWE changing, Roman Reigns and his future, and a few other things. He made it sound like he's OK with a Jericho-type role where he uses his status to put people over more than he continues to win titles and such himself.
    He also nearly had a Miz-type moment when Renee Young asked him about the accusations of holding people down and not letting stepping aside for others to take the torch and run with it. Being a true pro, he quickly collected himself but you could see he wasn't happy about the question.
    Worth a few minutes if you get a chance to find it on the Network.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Brock/ Braun needed to be an entertaining brawl that ends in a double-DQ or something like that, which would set up future matches ("Brock couldn't beat him!") and continue Braun's momentum while Brock takes off again. Instead, Braun is just treated like another challenger.

Batman likes this.
  6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That beatdown was epic. It was satisfying because it was Roman Reigns. It was great, just because it was great.
    Damn shame Miz is going to end up jobbing out to him and be no closer to a well-deserved title reign when it's all over.

7. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Cody and the Bullet Club "invaded" Raw last night in California.

8. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I love Bo and Curtis and Im glad they got somethin to do on TV, but I question if its worth pulling the trigger on a shield angle just to squash Miz and friends.

Or if Brauns in a program with Rollins/Ambrose maybe that swings back around and Braun wrecks all 3 of em.

9. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

WWE PG at its best. Kevin Owens yelling out to Shane McMahon (off mic), "Come on, mother fucker!"

10. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Hmmm, for some reason I wasn't getting notifications on new posts in here. ...

11. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Happens to me on occasion too. Once I click on the thread, I start getting them again.

Tommy_Dreamer likes this.
  12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I recently pulled "The Death of WCW" off the bookshelf and started reading it again. I'd forgotten (or never saw) a lot of the insane stuff that went down in the later years, among them Tank Abbott fighting some schmuck named Big Al in a leather jacket on a pole match at Superbrawl 2000.
    The match was the drizzling shits. It ended when Abbott awkwardly dumped Al onto the floor from the top rope and grabbed the leather jacket to decide ... who the hell knows.
    And then Tank Abbott pulls a knife from ... who the hell knows ... hops down and holds it to Big Al's throat.
    The clip ends before Tony Schiavone says, "I think he's gonna cut his beard." Big Al has no beard.
    Ah, WCW, how we miss you.

Draft saved Draft deleted