1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Oh, well, then ...

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There is nothing fundamental about that nonsense. We fought a revolution because of a despotic government that tried to steal from its citizens. Teddy Roosevelt (or you or anyone else) shouldn't be allowed to compel others to hand over their wealth so he can try to socially engineer the world to his liking. That is despotism in a nutshell. Property rights are what are really fundamental to a free society.

YankeeFan likes this.
  3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Taxation is what makes civilized society possible. Oliver Wendell Holmes knew that. Pity you don't.

5. The Big Ragu

Fewer than 5 percent of people pay close to 58 percent of our Federal taxes (close to half pay zero and collect transfer payments of various types meaning they pay a negative amount).

But thank goodness we have you to sit back in your arm chair and subjectively determine how valuable the people paying the bulk of what we collect are, and how much of what the earned they deserve to keep.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

They are not keeping it. They're dead. It's their heirs, who may have and frequently have done sweet fuck all to earn that money. Taking 50 percent off the top of everything over 5.5 mil isn't going to leave any family anything but very well off.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

For a retired cop and Army veteran he has a very limited understanding of what a Nazi is and what the movement was/is about.

8. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

You are ALL wayyyyy off base with these @YankeeFan gamer parodies.

There's no way in hell he would have spelled so many words correctly and used such proper punctuation. :D

Big Circus, HanSenSE, WCIBN and 5 others like this.
  9. The Big Ragu

When Oliver Wendell Holmes first said that in a speech in 1904 there was no Federal income tax (our constitution didn't allow it), let alone any form of a wealth tax such as the inheritence tax. When he wrote it in an opinion in 1927, the top marginal tax rate was 25 percent and you had to be ridiculously wealthy (as in only a handful of Americans paid it) to pay it. 93 percent of Americans paid no income tax. I am certainly all for something like the world that Oliver Wendell Holmes knew. He'd probably be horrified by the barn door the 16th Amendment opened and what it has led to.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was talking about the top-rate of income tax, not the estate tax. My point stands though. If the argument to lower the top-rate is to get more dollars into play, and expand the economy, and history hasn't shown that it is effective - that we now have more wealth concentrated at the top - it is a bad move for our economy. If you think they should pay less because we shouldn't punish someone for being successful - maybe you think the flat tax is more fair, that's fine. But the top earners have always paid a higher rate so we're just talking about how much more at this point.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Some of us mind less than others apparently, but we do have some big-ticket bills to pay, including for the repair a dangerously neglected infrastructure and a fraying social safety net.

I'll hold off further comment until I see the framework and some more details, but on the business side I think a corporate cut to a globally competitive rate is long overdue and a discounted "repatriation" rate could make sense.

And I'll of course amuse myself listening for the usual rationalizations from the debt hawks who decide this is all a very good idea that will pay for itself.

12. The Big Ragu

I was talking about the income tax. Not the death tax. My point was that you were pontificating about how much the small group people who already pay MOST of what we collect deserves to keep of what they earn -- based on how valuable you think they are to you. It bothers me. They aren't living or working for you, and the attitude that they should be is where we have strayed.

As for what I think? I think there is absolutely no virtue in handing over what you earn to someone else for their ends. I think it has even less virtue when you are compelled to do it (especially when it is angry mobs playing class warfare). And when you look at our $4 trillion budgets and just how money is corruptly slung around (not that we even collect enough to cover our spending), the whole exercise has even less virtue to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.