1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

These cops and vets are some of the biggest fucking snowflakes around.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I find it interesting that spending money for healthcare or social programs triggers calls for offsetting spending cuts, while the increased defense spending and tax cuts which also add to the deficit do not seem to require such a thing.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If the top 1% paid about 2.8% more in taxes, the bottom 50% would not have to pay any federal income tax.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

My argument wasn't with the top-earners, but the argument that giving the top-earners a tax cut would benefit us all. I highly recommend Wealth and Democracy by Kevin Phillips. We have seen class warfare for generations, but since it's money flowing up instead of down, it is seen as being okay, or the natural result of capitalism. And truthfully, it's government that is doing this. Tax carve-outs, loopholes, extremely limited in scope deductions that benefit perhaps one taxpayer...While we are amazed about people donating millions of dollars to political campaigns, Phillips shows that they typically more than pay for themselves in resulting policy.

Riptide likes this.
  5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

1) The bottom 50 percent already pays zero in income tax (between 45 to 50 percent of people).
    2) And if I rob a bank, I can finance my life a lot more easily.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The tax cut argument is that it spurs the economy, which means more jobs, etc., which means more tax revenue . . . which reduces the deficit.

Haven't seen the equation yet that illustrates the exact tax course we should take to maximize revenue/spur economy.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The trouble with this argument is that it's not true, as has been proven time and time again.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Oh, there's some marginal rate the reduction of which would lead to an economic expansion. The evidence suggests we've rarely, if ever, bumped up against it.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

melock and HC like this.
  12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I love how everyone turns into John Maynard Keynes to assert whatever nonsense conforms to their social ideals when it comes to "stimulating" or "steering" the macro economy.

The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design.

SpeedTchr and doctorquant like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.