1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Fair enough.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Gary Cohn, head economic adviser to Trump, said he "couldn't guarantee" middle class taxes wouldn't go up under the Republican tax plan. How did this guy ever sell anything to anyone at Goldman Sachs?

3. YankeeFan

If the Jones Act is so terrible during an emergency, why is it a good thing the rest of the time?

Let's get rid of it, then we won't have to worry about it during emergencies.

4. YankeeFan

Yeah. He should just lie, like how ObamaCare was sold.

That would be better.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Of course he is. I come from said background, and my family - on either of my parents' sides - more or less adore him and what he says, though, in my very unscientific polling, the national anthem thing doesn't register too much.

Illegal immigration/undocumented immigrants is what gets them going and what has gotten them going for two years now. And, there, Trump has and can still score points. And there's a reasonable intellectual argument - Trump can't make it because he's too himself, but it can be made - behind stopping the flow of illegal immigration to the US.

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

7. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

What makes it terrible is that it was an impediment to get crucial goods to people in desperate need. When people aren't in desperate need, it seems to put "America first" like our president would say.

I'm not an expert on maritime industry, but it seems reasonable to me that a regulation could be necessary under normal circumstances and bypassed under extreme circumstances.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

This reminds me of when basketball coaches would say a player had a "stress fracture" in their foot, when they meant "stress reaction," since a fracture is, you know, a broken foot.

Cochran is 79 and has been out of Washington all week. He presumably went to some hospital to get the work done. Trump is wrong in kind, but not really in degree.

This is media getting whipped up to get whipped up.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I almost wonder if Hank Jr. is going to ask to be taken off of the MNF theme. I remember when Daniels was one of those acts who brought everyone together, rockers, bluegrass folks, country fans. And yet his "Uneasy Rider" went from a hippie to a homophobe in 15 years.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Hank Jr.'s been mighty quiet this week.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"I'm a uniter, not a divider!"

12. YankeeFan

Yeah, It's an impediment to get crucial goods to people in desperate need.

It's also a daily impediment to the people in Puerto Rico, and results in higher costs for everything.

It should go.

Because, look, we don't suspend other laws in times of emergency. If we had to, we'd have to look at why those laws existed in the first place.

lakefront likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.