1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

GRRR, big tough angry Missouri man.

Songbird and Doc Holliday like this.
  2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

That I'm not inclined to post mindless drivel on a message board doesn't mean I don't support your right to do so.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

To me, there is an enormous difference between taking a shot at someone's argument, even a shot that might come off as sarcastic or mean, and taking a shot at a person for who they are or what they do. It has taken me too long to grasp that not everyone sees these two approaches as all that different - it's all "trolling." And you know what? Putting on my empathy cap for a moment, it does hurt when someone makes fun of your argument. You don't just feel like your argument is being belittled, because your argument is a little part of you. You're being belittled.

The other day, I got into my 1,000th row with Typefitter. He made fun of my job, and I got pissy, first, because I sincerely think that's the kind of thing that should be off limits and, second, because I wanted to defend my job and I don't want Typefitter or anyone else to look down on me for doing it.

And then I got to thinking.

There are a few reasons why someone might make fun of someone else's job:

(1) As I noted above, he is insecure about himself;
    (2) For whatever reason, the poster thinks the target has tipped his hand that this is something that will get the target's goat;
    (3) He's returning fire - in this case, during the course of the ongoing board war, I have taken my own, similar shots at Typefitter for doing celebrity profiles (for combo reasons (1), (2), and (3)) - similarly, along with your presumed insecurities, you think DQ deserves it because you think he's smug about his qualifications and needs to be taken down a notch; and
    (4) He legitimately looks down upon the target for performing that job.

Of those, (4) is the one that obviously bothers me the most. But I made decisions about my life for myself (or had them made for me because I wasn't good or smart or focused or lucky or geographically flexible enough or whatever enough at doing my first-choice profession) and my family and I alone know what went into those decisions, alone have to be secure in those decisions, and alone have to live with those decisions.

Does it bother me that Typefitter and Riptide, two posters at SportsJournalists.com, possibly have stereotyped me as a failure, a slimeball, or both? I can't 100 percent say that it doesn't. When I left the business, my biggest fear was that people still within it would look at me as a failure or a sellout or both or, maybe worst of all, with utter indifference. So when someone like Typefitter, who is objectively successful (and good at what he does), takes a dig along those lines, all of those fears come to life. Objectively I know that I don't need people to validate my decisions. I know that. But I'm working on it. I mean, goddamn, I am trying to teach my 8-year-old right now that other people don't get to control how he feels about himself.

I'm far afield. But to bring it back around, I sincerely hope that you can work on having your arguments picked apart, even in a way that feels dickish or hurts your feelings, without lashing out at someone for who they are away from this place.

It's just not healthy, for you or for the board.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    Donny in his element likes this.
  4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Try being a ketchup lover, @Dick Whitman, and let me know the abuse you receive :)

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I don't give a shit if they kneel, sit, or stand on their dicks during the national anthem. Zero fucks given by me.
    Next game I go to, I will stand during the anthem. The instrument has yet to be invented which can measure my indifference to what they do on the sideline, as long as the kickoff starts at 1:05 p.m.

Stoney likes this.
  6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Why is it so important that people have "respect" for our country? I mean, what does that even mean? Why do I have to respect my country? What if my country lets me down?

That is blind patriotism; and how many shitty things has that led to? I'd rather acknowledge my country for what it is -- the good and the bad. It's honest. It also gives me room me to continually try to make my country a better place.

Even if we establish that respecting the country is some kind of virtue, why is saluting a flag or a standing for a song, demonstrative of it?

I try to respect my country by living up (through action) to the ideals of freedom and liberty and equality of opportunity that we at least pay lip service to.

Those are values. Not symbols.

Think about this. After Charlottesville, the president was reticent (actually, he just acted like a dick) to stand up and unambiguously decry racism. There was never going to be an easier time to do it -- you had bigots gathering for a large demonstration. If you really value the symbolism inherent in that flag, you have to see racism and bigotry as threats to the values that flag represents. Otherwise, your supposed love of that flag has nothing to do with actual American values. For what it is worth, I personally find that to be true of a lot of people who drool over the symbol. They have usually lost sight of the values the symbol is supposed to represent.

In the case of Trump, fine. He's a jerk. But he didn't even leave well enough (or should I say bad enough?) alone. A month later, he made a douchey show of how offended he was by a black athlete whose aim was to protest racism by not standing for a flag. No reticence whatsoever, when it came to pouring lighter fluid on that and dropping a match.

What else can I take from that kind of behavior except that the symbol is important, but the values that symbol should stand for, aren't?

I personally think that people who blindly worships symbols, but value nothing, are sad. Potentially dangerous, too.

Jssst21, X-Hack, SnarkShark and 9 others like this.
  7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

IMO you haven't paid enough for your ketchup-on-well-done-steak sins.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You know why, though. The people opposite the bigots were people who hate Trump - and who Trump hates in return. And psychologically a full-throated denunciation of the bigots would have operated on some level (in his mind) as an endorsement of the people opposite the bigots, and a victory for them.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    SnarkShark and cranberry like this.
  9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

No, no, no, I love ketchup too just not on a beautifully cooked steak. Not even on a steak you cook.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Unless he's incarcerated, he never will.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Are you really this dumb? It was a stupid meme of a "point" because the reporters aren't the mostly black athletes using their prominence and platform to make a public statement. National TV audiences aren't watching reporters and newspapers aren't quoting them. It means little, if anything, to the general public what a reporter does. They're reporting. Importantly, and perhaps you don't grasp this, it would be unethical to take a "side" while reporting an event.

And even if some bonehead thought he was obligated to take a knee and risk getting mustard on his khakis in the damn press box, reporters, unlike professional athletes, aren't so valuable to their employers that they wouldn't be subject to being (justifiably) fired for protesting, so it would also carry a much higher risk in terms of livelihood.

With that said, most of the columnists I've read have come out in support of the athletes' right to protest. As for me, I'm writing stuff in support of them daily.

So fuck off, because you're not smart enough or entertaining enough to take up Old Tony's role on the board.

12. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

It is not the same thing at all, he was going to be available for the vote. trump ca not use that for an excuse. Likes to blame everyone else for everything and should be called out on it. All this bull from him needs to be remembered correctly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.