1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

It's DUMBER and HUMMER.

mmmmm, hummer ...

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

There were 63 players kneeling in the four pictures of that tweet alone. Very few. The fewest. The fewest people kneeling at any point in history, some are saying. Am I right, folks?

And, yes, we're all aware of the semantic game you were hoping to play by specifying that very few were "kneeling during the anthem," rather than noting how many were protesting. You might just get Sarah's job yet.

3. Riptide

No, it was dead-on as a set piece. And the writing and camera cues were terrific.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think so, right?

We had lefties calling for folks to take a knee as affront to Trump.

They didn't, so Trump wins. Because we know if half the league had protested, it would have been seen as a big deal.

It's interesting to me too -- the teams/coaches are terrified of this becoming an issue within the team. If you've got black players kneeling, and white players not kneeling, it would become a problem.

So, the teams -- while talking a good game about respecting the individual player's right to make a statement -- are desperate to make a unified team decision. Then we end up with ridiculous, meaningless gestures, like "taking a knee" before the national anthem.

5. Riptide

No, that's just stupid. Nice try, though. :cool:

6. YankeeFan

What are they "protesting" if they kneel prior to the anthem? They're certainly not getting on the Kaepernick train by doing so.

And, we were told that it wasn't disrespecting the flag, the anthem, or our troops to kneel in protest during the anthem, so what's the point of doing it prior to the anthem? It certainly seems like they are backing down, and away from, the original form of protest, in response to criticism from Trump and the fans.

7. Riptide

LOL. You dummy.

This might be your dummyest post yet! :cool:

8. bigpern23

What's wrong with backing away from the original form of protest if it moves the conversation forward? Seems like they are listening to the other side and trying to engage it in a constructive, peaceful manner. What's your side's next move?

In an effort to create dialogue, rather than shouting down the other side, these players are addressing the concerns expressed by those who believe they are disrespecting the flag and the military. They're putting thought into the manner of their protest and trying to find the best way to push their message across to the masses. They're saying, "OK, you think we disrespect our country and our military by protesting during the anthem, so we'll change in an effort to keep the conversation on point. We're going to continue to use our platform to express our outrage at police brutality and inequality in America, but we're now going to remove from the conversation arguments about the timing of it. Now, when we kneel for peace and equality during a moment that isn't sacrosanct, what are you really telling us when you boo our peaceful protest against police brutality and inequality?"

So I ask you, @YankeeFan, if the players are removing the National Anthem from the equation, how do you now feel about their protest?

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

10. YankeeFan

The protests are laughable. The message is somewhere between muddled and non-existent.

And, the fans are still not happy with the players taking a knee before the protest. So, what’s the players next step?

11. bigpern23

Yup, muddled and non-existent.*
    "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

*To those unwilling to listen

HanSenSE likes this.
  12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

At the A&M game yesterday, I envisioned a player with the biggest set of brass balls in history taking a knee during the anthem and flyover. Now THAT would have been a sight to behold.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.