1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Whether the guy was using an "automatic" or merely a "doctored to be automatic" isn't a trivial issue w.r.t. policy discussions.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Honestly, I don't know how bump stocks weren't banned by the ATF about three minutes after they went on the market.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The feral hog hunt concern seems paramount at this time.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  4. doctorquant

I don't have a clue ... maybe the ATF's authority doesn't extend that far?

5. doctorquant

Attached Files:

6. Inky_Wretch

Yeah, they got it through a loophole in the ATF regs. But it should have been closed pretty quickly. What's the point of making full auto extremely expensive to purchase and subject to an extensive background check (much deeper than a normal gun purchase) if you can buy an untraceable and cheap add-on at the gun store that subverts all the rules and regs?

And I guess YF needs to call Sen. Cotton and tsk-tsk about the automatic weapon thing. The former Army Ranger went one step beyond that and said it sounded like a belt-fed squad weapon.

Cotton: Las Vegas shooter's weapon sounded like 'belt-fed machine gun'

Riptide likes this.
  7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

True.

The policy, AKA the Second Amendment, just must be replaced.

I don't understand how we can take the Founding Father's support for slavery and alter that within the Constitution but we can't touch the Second Amendment, murky as it is.

SnarkShark likes this.
  8. Inky_Wretch

Photos circulating which reportedly show two of the rifles confirm the bump stock theory.

9. doctorquant

Slavery was eliminated with the 13th Amendment: "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

So of course the 2nd Amendment could be touched, with a one-sentence addition to the Constitution: "The second article of amendment to the Constitution of the United States is hereby repealed." Pass it and send it to the states for ratification. If Congress won't do its part, the states could convene a constitutional convention.

Of course that's not going to happen. Because, troubling as this fact may be, "the people" really don't want it to happen.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

11. Inky_Wretch

Practically guaranteeing Trump will try to withdraw from it.

12. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Use your brain. Tally up the number killed and injured and the amount of time it took one guy to inflict that. Combined with the audio samples.

If you want to cling to the idea that his guy pulled the trigger to send every bullet out, then I can't help you.

HanSenSE likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.