1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I don't think the bill of rights can be amended.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Any word, clause, sentence or paragraph in the Constitution can be amended.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

One of the most common arguments against universal health coverage is that it is the government forcing people to work for other people, and therefore immoral. Of course that logic applies to emergency services, it is just politically unpalatable to admit it.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I stand corrected.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

He's probably just busy trying to find things that Obama or Hillary or some other liberal said or did that are more or less the same thing that Trump or some other conservative had done.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

To be fair - just because gun ownership is a right - doesn't mean the government gives everyone guns.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

My proposed amendment to the Preamble -- "We the real 'muricans" -- has gotten no traction on Capitol Hill.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

We know eye witness accounts are often wrong, but in this case, in lieu of actual reporting we'll rely on "ear witness" reporting.

By reporting that he had "automatic weapons" there is an implication that he was either able to thwart the laws that tightly control access to such guns, or that Las Vegas/Nevada laws made acquiring such weapons easier. (They don't, because federal law applies.)

As it turns out, he did not have an automatic weapon. He appears to have used a legal device, and made no illegal modifications to the gun(s).

So, as we've seen before, it looks like YankeeFan was correct to doubt the initial reports, but the journalists here are going with the idea that the facts don't matter, the point remains, and YankeeFan is wrong.

So, unless there is some reporting that he did have a fully automatic weapon, or made an illegal modification, folks should stop saying he had one.

I think it was @Inky_Wretch who speculated early on that he may have used a bump stock. Props to him.

I'll bet fewer of our audiophiles here, who insisted it was a fully automatic weapon (or had been illegally modified), were familiar with a bump stock than knew who S.I. Newhouse was.

9. YankeeFan

Of course we can "touch" the Second Amendment. The process for how to repeal it is spelled out in the Constitution, and has been used on previous occasions.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This is what is really important here, @YankeeFan feels he was right.

Scoreboard.

11. YankeeFan

Why don't we just rely on good old reporting?

Did he have a fully automatic weapon, or make an illegal modification or not? This is a simple question.

I don't know why you guys -- journalists after all -- get offended by calls for specificity, and fight on when proven wrong.

Also, while not at all minimizing what happened, many of the injured were not shot. A lot of people were injured in the stamped.

Look at this picture. It's easy to see how he could have shot a lot of people. There was no where to go. They were packed in like sardines, and any attempt by the crowd to flee would certainly result in injuries.

[​IMG]

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

And that's the ultimate problem. You can't legislate or plan around the will of the people. And the will of a whole lot of the American people is some pretty fucked up shit that the rest of the world wouldn't put up with. Perhaps this is just the inevitable fallout from founding your country with whatever creepy religious kooks were too creepy to keep around 17th century Europe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.