1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Indeed, time to use it again, as I proposed on the Vegas thread. Repealing and replacing the Second Amendment is an idea that should garner strong support among states' rights conservatives who want to remove gun laws from the tenuous grip of the federal government.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure all the responding cops who warned each other about automatic gunfire in the midst of dozens of people being shot down and killed didn't pause to have a frantic debate over whether it was an illegal gun or a modified semi-automatic. But you must have your fun with dodgeball semantics. :cool:

3. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I'm not calling for anything. It was automatic gunfire. You arguing against it is absurd.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Then you should probably bow out of further political discussions until you study up on civics a bit.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It could be replaced in its entirety with the screenplay to "Captain Underpants" today.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

7. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Angelicans, Catholics, Huguenots, Lutherans, the Dutch, Calvinists, that Zwingli fella, the Ottomans .... no side in 16th and 17th century Europe had a shortage of religious kooks.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There is a major difference between the two things. One is a private good (health care), the other is a common or public good (emergency services, depending on what you specifically are referring to).

Emergency services are non-excludable and non-rivalrous. The reason governments need to provide for those kinds of things is that there isn't an efficient market mechanism that provides from them. If we decide we want them, the only way to have it is by government coercing everyone to chip and pay for it. By non-excludable and non-rivalrous: If there is a 911 number or a fire department or police, you can't limit it to only people who have paid for it. And one person taking advantage of it doesn't necessarily limit its availability for others. Because of those two qualities, you get what is called a free rider problem. Take a police force that patrols the neighborhood. Nobody has incentive to pay for it, because you will benefit just as equally if everyone else in the neighborhood chips and pays for those things. They can't exclude you from the service.

Health care, on the other hand, is neither non-rivalrous or non-excludable. If I consume a pill or a medical service or get a medical test, it means there is less available of the commodity for the next guy. And if I pay for the good or service, it benefits only me, not a bunch of free riders. It's why there is a private market for health care without government mucking it up.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's not important in the grand scheme of things.

I'm just not sure why folks won't concede the point. Instead, I'm being criticized, scolded, and insulted, by folks who want me to "use my brain" and admit I was wrong.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I was being metaphorical, but I fully understand nuance is not your jam.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I assumed we were referring to emergency medical care, not emergency response, but I may have jumped in midway and mistook the conversation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.