1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I stayed at the Westin Copley in Boston for a playoff series once. Checked in, there were TV trucks parked outside. Police in the lobby. Turns out one of the Craigslist murders happened there the night before. I stayed.

Reading this thread, I must be the weird one.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

3. YankeeFan

4. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Well, a quick search online didn't turn up any results of Timothy Geithner or Jack Lew asking to use a military jet for their honeymoons.

5. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Does Trump even know what that phrase means? He probably just heard it and wanted to use it in a sentence.

Edit: Or he thought he just made it up. First "Prime the pump" and now this.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  6. melock

melock Well-Known Member

And, after a quick search online, no personal trips to visit their children or property they owned for Kathleen Sebelius or Sylvia Matthews Burwell.

Edited for to meet journalist standards

7. YankeeFan

So, no Obama cabinet official who used a military charter for official business tagged on a personal meeting or visit? It this your statement?

8. YankeeFan

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Something something media won't investigate, can prove it DIDN't happen so it must be true, something something.

Meanwhile, pretty quiet about all those Milo emails and all the racists Breitbart jumped into bed with as long as they could launder their racism a bit for the main stream.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  10. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Ah, I forgot to put the "after a quick search online I didn't find" like I did with the treasury guys. I know you're a stickler for details.

And did they use military or charter for either? I don't know. They very may well have. But what does that have to do with anything seeing as Trumpy made pledge after pledge after pledge after pledge to drain the swamp only to pin an almost $2 million bill on the taxpayers so far between Price, Mnuchin, Zinke and Pruitt.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You know the routine, deflect, deflect, deflect.

12. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

About two months ago in this forum I shared some second-hand (well, maybe third-hand) info from some administration sources/officials. Happy to be slightly more specific (though not extremely specific) about the sources and methods of my "intelligence." So feel free to believe as little or as much of this as you like. But you have my word – should that mean anything to you – that these are (or were then) the honest, if composite, views of senior people from the grown-up wing of the administration.

Anyway, enough throat-clearing. The big picture views were:

– They were not that worried about the investigation into direct collusion; the DJT Jr meeting may have been as bad as that got.

– They were, however, quite worried about Mueller looking into Trump's finances, because there is in fact a "there" there.

– The sex stuff in the dossier is largely true. And also the sign of a rank amateur, since pros of any stripe have long known that you should assume the Russians are spying on you at all times while in Russia.

And one thing I forgot to mention last time is that Trump believed that North Korea would be his "legacy," presumably by succeeding where multiple administrations had failed. So my gut – expect him to double and triple down on his "Rocket Man" strategy, since he thinks his great victory will be getting the DPRK to back down thanks to his uniquely Trumpian tough-guy approach.

Don't kill the messenger. And hopefully Trump doesn't kill us all. Or a few hundred thousand South Koreans, anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.