1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

WTF!?!

That's some bullshit to not report that - both to the cops and in print.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The point being Harvey acted like a mobster. He scared people into silence. Everyone.

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

The only reason this story got into print was because Ashley Judd had the courage to put her name to it. If that doesn't happen...I can't imagine you get it done without someone on the record.

4. Double Down

She shared it too, on Twitter. Not afraid.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'm not going to sit in judgment of her because of that. ... not without walking an inch in her shoes first.

But if anything rubbed me wrong a little about this piece, it isn't that she didn't take on Harvey Weinstein when it happened -- something I can understand. It's that she is piling on now, because it suddenly got easy to write that piece.

Either way, it doesn't mean she isn't telling the truth.

SnarkShark likes this.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Genuinely curious about people's heated response to this story.

The 'casting couch' is a phenomenon of long standing in show business.

Is this a big story because it's Harvey Weinstein? Because of the marquee starlets? Because of the way the story was suppressed - which is another longstanding tradition in Hollywood?

I'm not strictly sure this is comparable to the sins of the Vatican, or to the failures and hypocrisies of politicians.

Ie., why aren't we talking about Tim Murphy?

7. Double Down

8. Double Down

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I saw that this morning, I personally found it more damning than anything, if the intent was for him to control the narrative. I thought he is making it worse by not shutting up and disappearing.

He can't even effectively talk his way around this one. ... He handed out money in settlements that required non-disclosure and he wants to imply that therefore the Times story was "conjecture" and "assumptions." The thing is, he either settled with a bunch of women and paid them off or he didn't. He doesn't address it, nor does he deny it. It's possible the Times has evidence, despite the non-disclosures he thought protected him. At this point, it's shooting the messenger, UNLESS he either says, "Yeah, they got it right," or "No, that isn't true." He can't bullshit his way out of the truth, yet he came off like he was trying to.

10. Double Down

Prediction: His shitty comments about Ashley Judd "going through a tough time; I'll reach out to her eventually" is only going to enrage more actresses who have thus far kept quiet.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Carr’s profile described him as having a tendency to physically menace people on occasion, and describes another incident.

Everyone in New York and Hollywood knew what an asshole this guy is.

Weinstein's tendency to physically menace people on occasion hasn't always helped matters. Jonathan Taplin met an enraged version of Weinstein at Sundance after he sold Shine to Fine Line. (Weinstein denies he ever laid a hand on him.)

"It was very unpleasant to have this guy strangle you in a restaurant, but I give him credit for being passionate enough about Shine to hunt me down and confront me,"

Taplin recalls. "He was totally out of control and had to be thrown out of therestaurant, but you would have to put me down on the side of people who arepassionate and crazy about movies."

12. Double Down

[Weinstein punches you in the face repeatedly]
    "Harvey, why are you doing this?'
    "BECAUSE I CAN! HOW DO YOU LIKE THEM APPLES?"
    [Victim wipes blood off face]
    "I will say, this guy is really passionate about movies. Count me as a fan."

YankeeFan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.