1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rainman, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

RIP Lance Russell. He was an institution in Memphis, both as a wrestling broadcaster and a TV newscaster. Sadly, his daughter died of cancer a few days before, and he fell and broke his hip when he was helping to,prepare for the funeral.

He is one who could be on the Mount Rushmore of wrestling broadcasters with Gordon Solie, JR, and maybe Heenan or Ventura.

Lance Russell, legendary Memphis wrestling announcer, dies at 91

2. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

So, the rumblings are that Bray Wyatt will be playing Sister Abigail himself.

Should only happen in a fatal four-way match with Santina, Hervina and Breezy Bella.

sgreenwell, Baron Scicluna and Batman like this.
  3. Baron Scicluna

This can either be awesome, or totally Wrestlecrappy.

I'm betting on the second choice.

sgreenwell likes this.
  4. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Opinions on War Games? Doesn't feel spoilery since WWE flooded their social media feeds with it. Don't know who exactly is in it but I do think it'll be much better on NXT that it would be on the main roster by default.

And who on Earth has more class than Cody?

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I always thought WarGames was great as a visual, but a clusterfuck in execution.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Was War Games the three-ring battle royal, or the 10-man cage match that's basically a mini Royal Rumble in a cage?
    Always get those two confused.

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

The latter, although I think it's more like Survivor Series in a cage. World War 3 was the three ring, 60-man battle royal.

8. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Only saw the latter day War Games with nwo myself and it was always a cluster. Im told by the internets the violent ones in the Crockett 80s were awesome. Hopefully its more that and less the clusterfuck.

9. Baron Scicluna

It's a 10-man which is kinda like the Elimination Chamber, except it's supposed to be in two rings. Two five-man teams. One guy from each team starts out, then a third guy enters, then a fourth guy and so on. Usually the heels have the upper hand in outnumbering the faces until the end. I'm not sure, but I think it can only end in a submission, although it may depend on the year.

The 1980s ones were excellent, and the 1992 one which featured Sting and a just face-turned Nikita Koloff against the Dangerous Alliance was fantastic.

Then again, you also had the 1991 one that saw Sid Vicious banging Brian Pillman into the roof of the cage then dropping him on his head with the power bomb. So yeah, the clusterfuck factor also comes into play.

10. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

Drew McIntyre is having great matches in NXT, and you can tell that Vince and co. still love his look. How do you think his second tenure in the WWE will go?

11. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

I think the sky's the limit. Back in the days of territories it was common that wrestlers would disappear from one area for a few years and then come back as a big deal at a higher level. The ultimate refresher was Hulk Hogan, who left WWE for AWA and then came back and was launched into the stratosphere. Curt Henning was not much more than a jobber in his initial WWE tour, and then came back a few years later and was made into a star.

McIntyre seems primed for that treatment.

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I'm not sure - It wasn't like McIntyre was a jobber in his first run. By the end, yeah, but he was given a big push at the start. I think he could be a solid midcard guy, maybe even a Sheamus or Jinder-level unpopular champion, but I don't think he'll ever be a huge deal on the main roster.

Draft saved Draft deleted