1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Can we get back on topic? I don't see how it's commendable for a "reporter" to let that stuff slide. I mean, that's exactly the role of a reporter! To bring to light the stories that other people don't have the voice to share. She abdicated that responsibility and I don't think it takes particular courage to do your job.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Do you have any women who are friends?

Sexual harassment in the workforce is common. A reluctance to pursue it against powerful men is common, and the men who act this way know it, and count on it. They're also careful as to whom they treat this way.

What did the one woman who worked for Weinstein say, the power dynamic was Weinstein 10, and her 0?

Honestly, if no woman you know has confided in you about a similar experience, then you're not someone who women like or trust.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This will be my third attempt at responding to this, so let's keep it civil so perhaps it can stay. As a high priest of journalism, I agree it's a good topic.

Ideally, yes, I agree with your point. Part of being a reporter is standing up to powerful people in pursuit of the truth.

I also think saying "I don't think it takes particular courage to do your job" is absurd. Harvey's entire schtick is to reign over Hollywood with fear. Fear of physical violence, fear of financial ruin, fear of being blacklisted if you dared challenge him. There is little doubt in my mind that Harvey could have had reporters fired in the 90s and early 2000s (or at the very least reassigned) for crossing him. If not that, then their media entities shut out of premiers, junkets, etc.

So this reporter seemed to make a choice. Choose to get into a lengthy messy ethical and likely legal battle with one of the most powerful people in her business, or continue keeping her job and paying the rent. I think good in these situations to try and see it from the victims perspective. Why do so many of these harassment situations stay quiet for so long? Because powerful men threaten women, or buy them off, to maintain that silence.

CD Boogie likes this.
  4. Double Down

Rebecca Traister, btw, who detailed the way Harvey screamed in her face and put her boyfriend in a headlock when she was young, grew up to be one of the best reporters in the country. I'm sure she had regret she didn't "report" what happened, but her piece in The Cut described the reality: A lot of journalists, many of them more accomplished and prominent than her at the time, and none of them were willing to take on Harvey either. I have a lot of admiration for Jodi Kantor, who in the last two years alone, now done major reporting on both Amazon and Havery Weinstein.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

In her statement on Thursday, she said she was brought in to assist ole Harvey in using this “painful learning experience to grow into a better man.” She went on to say, "I will continue to work with him personally for as long as it takes."

Or two days. ... whichever comes first, I guess.

6. CD Boogie

Well, shit, that's a reasonable response. You're improving

7. Double Down

See! We'll be besties before the new year!

8. CD Boogie

Love it. Make it personal. I am responding to a topic and you go that route. Polluting political and sex politics threads: someone's MO...

The apologist for the misogynist

9. CD Boogie

Weren't no reason otherwise. I don't get personal unless someone opens that door. Have a nice day

10. YankeeFan

Lanny's out too.

Harvey doesn't seem like a client who was good at taking the advice given ti him, so maybe it's just that. Or, maybe it's going to get much worse.

11. YankeeFan

I'm being totally serious. I'm not sure how you can be ignorant of this issue, and how people deal with it, in 2017.

It's like you've never considered the issue, read about it, or had someone relate their own personal experience to you.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Well, she was willing to work with him for as long as it takes. ... Maybe Harvey is a really quick learner.

Also, not to work your corners, but between Lisa Bloom, Lanny Davis and all the democratic senators and congressmen who started running for the hills (sending money he donated years ago back, or promising to donate it to nonprofits advocating for women who were victims of sexual abuse). ... I'd guess there is something coordinated going on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.