1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It's about employers being able to use their religious beliefs to justify being able to tell employees how to use their compensation.

Should a Jehovah's Witness employer be able to deny their employees coverage of blood transfusions because they have a religious objection to blood transfusions? Should they also be able to fire an employee for having a blood transfusion because it violates the employer's religious beliefs?

lakefront and heyabbott like this.
  2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I figured this post was coming ... thought it would be from YF.

Truth is, we're way too divided of a country to pass any legislation of significance, so you're going to get a truckload of executive orders and court decisions setting policy. Great. :rolleyes:

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

They might not, but others will. You get ID'd as religious zealot (or to be more blunt, afraid of women as equal beings), you ain't selling shit in some big, big markets.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I have always wondered what is subject to vote and what can be achieved unilaterally by executive order.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The ACA left TONS of stuff to the discretion of the Secretary of HHS. This was by design politically (not as a policy matter) ... but that approach means it’s far easier for a successor to undo what he/she sees fit.

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Want to have that debate ithout using or abusing religion as an excuse? Let’s have it.

But the current debate is that some people who take Christ’s name in vain are using
    False religious views or convenient interpretations of fake beliefs to deny birth control as part of an insurance package. Shouldn’t the exact same interpretation be used to defund the department of defense?

8. Michael_ Gee

The idea that employer sponsored health insurance is free to employees comes as a surprise to me, since part of it came out of my paycheck everywhere I worked for over 40 years. Cut the bullshit. This is about men being allowed to control women because the views of dirt poor shepherds over 2000 years ago about sex and women are God's word, a word that many men like because of their own twisted views, which ain't that different from those of the illiterate shepherds. Here's the tell. Trump administration talking point is that contraception might allow teens to engage in risky sex. One, it's not true as has been proven by many surveys. Two, it's so plainly a cry of "Daddy's little girl is going to fuck someone else!" Pathetic.

9. doctorquant

Tl;dr: Gee’s drunk again.

cyclingwriter2 and SpeedTchr like this.
  10. Michael_ Gee

You don't like it. Sorry. But it's the truth. All three of the world's religions, all of which are great religions and have much to offer mankind as a moral guide, which come from that part of the world also reflect the values of societies where women were a little better than chattel, but not much. That these beliefs survive into the 21st century, not just here but all over the world, is evidence that the sexual pathologies of the human race are very deep indeed.

11. doctorquant

Have another ...

SpeedTchr likes this.
  12. Michael_ Gee

Not an answer. Not even an attempt at refutation. You're a smart guy, Quant. You can do better. Unless of course, you don't have an answer or refutation at hand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.