1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I wonder if this stupid NFL thing was the "storm" Trump was cryptic about.

Such bullshit. And at great expense to taxpayers in general and to Indy & the Colts for all the work that has to be done for a VP visit. That he knew was going to last all of 5 minutes.

That money should be reimbursed.

Must be some heavy-hitting Russia stuff coming to raise the bullshit level this high.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And how much it puts the budget out of whack.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Face it @YankeeFan ... when all is said and done, the Jefferson "quote" is going to prove to everyone how wrong you can be.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The basis of our governments being the opinion of the people, the very first object should be to keep that right; and were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter. But I should mean that every man should receive those papers & be capable of reading them. - Jefferson

BTW now that hat trumpshitforbrains is President does this still apply?
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Well, it has less meaning, knowing it doesn’t come from Jefferson, doesn’t it?

The whole point of attributing it to Jefferson was to give it heft.

Jefferson literally wanted to bring the press up on charges. What do you think of that?

As for Trump, he values a free press, but knows it undermines its own value when it fails to be honest. What he’s asked for is fair and honest press coverage, and has taken no steps to undermine a free and independent press.

7. YankeeFan

Is it because they were playing the 49ers that we should have expected players to kneel?

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

"The people are the only censors of their governors: and even their errors will tend to keep these to the true principles of their institution. To punish these errors too severely would be to suppress the only safeguard of the public liberty. The way to prevent these irregular interpositions of the people is to give them full information of their affairs thro’ the channel of the public papers, & to contrive that those papers should penetrate the whole mass of the people. The basis of our governments being the opinion of the people, the very first object should be to keep that right; and were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter. But I should mean that every man should receive those papers & be capable of reading them." - Thomas Jefferson, 1787 letter to Edward Covington.

9. YankeeFan

It’s sort of funny to call it an incorrect attribution.

That would be like if it had been Adams or Madison who had said it, and not Jefferson.

This was a made up quote, falsely attributed to Jefferson.

And, the question remains, “well, how to you feel about the sentiment in this falsely attributed, made up quote?”

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"Enemy of the American people."

I'll stipulate for the record that Thomas Jefferson is not the source.

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. YankeeFan

Yes. People are very familiar with this quote, as it gets trotted out often. And, it’s portrayed to be his all encompassing view of the press, and its value.

But the truth is, his views were much more nuanced. The Post article I linked to covers this quote, as well as other things he said about the press, and the actions against them that he considered.

12. YankeeFan

Yeah. Yeah. He wanted to have newspaper editors tried for sedition, but he really loved them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.