1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This is just sad.

Double Down likes this.
  2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The guy should be behind bars. And I don't write that lightly. And by the time it's over, he may be headed that way.

3. YankeeFan

Time to rebrand.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Wow. That's terrible.

5. YankeeFan

What a wimp, right?

She continued, "A (female) criminal attorney said because I'd done a sex scene in a film I would never win against the studio head #WhyWomenDontReport…because it's been an open secret in Hollywood/Media & they shamed me while adulating my rapist #WhyWomenDontReport.
    "Because my ex sold our movie to my rapist for distribution #WhyWomenDontReport."

Rose McGowan Opens Up About Past Rape

Hollywood didn't care that Weinstein was a rapist.

6. YankeeFan

Matt Damon and Russell Crowe ran interference for him in the past, and the Times spiked a story, after a personal appeal from Weinstein.

I also tracked down a woman in London who had been paid off after an unwanted sexual encounter with Weinstein. She was terrified to speak because of her non-disclosure agreement, but at least we had evidence of a pay-off.

The story I reported never ran.

After intense pressure from Weinstein, which included having Matt Damon and Russell Crowe call me directly to vouch for Lombardo and unknown discussions well above my head at the Times, the story was gutted.

I was told at the time that Weinstein had visited the newsroom in person to make his displeasure known. I knew he was a major advertiser in the Times, and that he was a powerful person overall.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Conservative darling Kurt Schlichter openly attaching rape victim Rose Mcgowan on Twitter today. But not believing women with Harvey is a liberal problem, I'm told.

8. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

The old quarterback???

9. Double Down

Different degenerate; similar name. You likely thinking of Art.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I just read what that Sharon Waxman wrote at her site thewrap.com about her story for the Times that was watered down (from what she thought it should have been) in 2004.

All I have to go on is what she wrote, but her own account reads like she didn't have enough. Innuendo about the head of Miramax Italy "knowing nothing about film" and being in the job because he is a "friend" + one source who claimed being paid off but wouldn't go on the record?

If that is all she had, it may not have been the long reach of Harvey Weinstein that kept her piece from going to print.

There are some people, though, who want to bite both sides of that apple. If the Times runs a crappily sourced story that proves to be untrue, they rip the Times. If the Times doesn't run the story, years later if it proves to be true, they come running in to allege bias.

I have no idea what happened on that story. Maybe Harvey Weinstein (and Matt Damon and Russell Crowe) used influence to get it spiked. Or maybe it just wasn't reported well enough. Or maybe it was some combination of the two, such as, "all things being equal, we shouldn't risk a libel suit AND lose an advertiser unless we can do better than this."

But a newsroom isn't always the cartoonish place of simplistic agendas people want to believe.

11. Double Down

(The New York Times takes down a liberal lion at risk of considerable lawsuits.)

This is proof the Times is biased and protected him for years!

12. YankeeFan

Link?

Not trying to be a dick, but I looked and didn’t see anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.