1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Just go to Rose's Twitter feed, unless he deleted them all.

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

You mean Art?

SpeedTchr likes this.
  3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Didn’t go back far enough.

He went @CD Boogie on her, didn’t he? Not sure how that helps.

Yes, it would be preferable if women (and victims of all sorts) came forward. But, the focus should be on creating an environment where victims feel safe coming forward, and won’t be further victimized, shamed, or shunned for doing so. I think we all know that would have been her fate had she done so.

4. Double Down

She was essentially blacklisted even just for fighting for that settlement, in private. She's been talking about it for years.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

True. Which goes to show how open a secret it was.

Why was she blacklisted, if Harvey didn’t put the word out?

She the victim here. People shouldn’t criticize her.

If anything, this is where journalists can play an important part. There’s safety in numbers. One accuser can be shamed, and dismissed with a “nuts and sluts”defense. Harvey was clearly ready to go that route against Judd. But, if multiple victims can be made aware of each other, they can make their accusations with less fear or reprisal.

6. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Yes!

Brain fart/old man. I mixed up Kurt Warner And Art Schlichter.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

8. Double Down

9. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Matt Damon and Russell Crowe reportedly helped kill a 2004 New York Times Harvey Weinstein article

10. Double Down

I believe Damon and Crowe tried to advocate for Harvey, and maybe even tried to get the piece squashed.

I don't believe the Times walked away from the piece because of Harvey. I don't think the reporter had the goods, and that was borne out the next 10 years when Waxman left the times and didn't produce the story. (If she had it, what was stopping her? Waxman's former Times editor said as much. It wasn't enough. All they had was the rumors.

I think Jodi Kantor is simply a really great reporter, and got Judd to go on the record, and got Rose Mcgowan to come as close to breaking her NDA as possible. (She didn't comment for the story, but it's clear she confirmed she was one of the women who'd received a payout from him.)

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

12. Double Down

If it was so easy to write a story about Harvey and the liberal press was protecting him because they loved being on the payroll, why didn't the Weekly Standard pursue the story? Why didn't the Wall Street Journal? Why did Lee Smith, the author of this piece who apparently had first had stories of Harvey SCREAMING at Tina Brown over and over, write that story?

Every cowardly conservative has cover fire now to attack the liberal media because, um, the king of the jungle in liberal media took down Harvey while 100 conservative media organizations sat on their thumbs and pouted while he racked up Oscars, even though they knew the real story. Spare me. All media failed, and no one should be doing neener neener bullshit now, especially when they didn't have the chops to do the story but are now thrilled liberal media did all the hard work so naturally the liberal media should also be blamed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.