1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I'm not familiar with all of the politics here...I've read about Weinstein, but I don't know about The Weekly Standard's bent.

However, I do think the author makes an excellent point about the reporters who were tied into Weinstein's businesses. There is no doubt that protected him.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think it's certainly fair to say people who had the rights to their magazine features bought by the Weinsteins (or Miramax) were not going to be digging up stories about Harvey being a sexual predator.

Now, explain to me how this would prevent a ton of newspapers, at the height of their power, from pursuing this story.

The New York Times sent a reporter to three continents trying to get this story. She didn't get it.

This column is using a deft slight of hand to make this about politics.

1. Weinsteins were powerful.
    2. Weinsteins threw amazing parties.
    3. A lot of magazine writers wanted to have their stories turned into movies; Miramax bought lots of them.
    4. Yada yada yada, look over here, not over there
    5. All this is an example of how liberal media (including newspapers?) didn't pursue this story! Because Bill Clinton.
    6. Even though the Queen of Liberal media did pursue it. And eventually broke it.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Good clip, but hey Millennials: Your video campaigns are much stronger when you don't cloak everything in that heavy, smiling sarcasm stuff. Especially to the old people you're trying to convert. Just play it straight and fire away.

4. Riptide

Weinstein has to be rich enough to walk away.
    Can't deal with giving up his daily power fix, though.

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I see. The Clinton stuff was an eye-glazer for me. Understanding the politics more know, I get why it looked like a throw-in at the bottom. Because it was.

That said, the Queen of Liberal media did bury the story once before. I said it before and I will say it again. Ashley Judd is the hero here. She spoke up. Everyone else took that as a licence.

LongTimeListener and Double Down like this.
  6. Riptide

[Insert Monica joke here.]

7. Double Down

100 percent agree. I don't know if it runs yet if Judd doesn't go on the record. The fact that she was the lede made it so much harder for him to attack right back. Instead of "I didn't do these things; they are all lies" it was "I didn't have enough time to respond (even though I hired a PR firm and Lisa Bloom specifically to respond to this a week before the story was published)."

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Is Donna Karan known to be a heavy drinker?

Donna Karan Wonders if Women Are Dressing for ‘Trouble’

“How do we present ourselves as women?” Ms. Karan said on the red carpet at the CineFashion Film Awards in Los Angeles on Sunday evening. “What are we asking? Are we asking for it? By presenting all the sensuality and all the sexuality? What are we throwing out to our children today? About how to dance, how to perform and what to wear? How much should they show?”

And the follow-up:

Donna Karan Apologizes After Defending Harvey Weinstein: ‘My Statements Were Taken Out of Context’

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Explain to me in layman's terms what Harvey Weinstein does/did. His name is attached to Pulp Fiction.
    What did Weinstein do to make Pulp Fiction a great movie?

10. Double Down

Got it made after other studios passed on it. Got it financed, putting up the $8.5 million it cost to made. Made/convinced actors (Bruce Willis) take less money than normal to sign on. Made sure it got a spot in film festivals to generate buzz. Leaned on distributors to get it into thearters across the country. Coordinated a huge marketing campaign that helped it get nominated for best picture.

The Making of Pulp Fiction: Quentin Tarantino’s and the Cast’s Retelling

YankeeFan likes this.
  11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Wow. You were ready to answer that question.

Did you and Poin set that up?

12. Double Down

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.