1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Alright then. We've moved from sex, power, those nebulous promises, and the questions about how to make it in the industry as a whole ... to straight-up rape allegations.

“At that point, after that, is when he assaulted me,” Evans said. “He forced me to perform oral sex on him.” As she objected, Weinstein took his penis out of his pants and pulled her head down onto it. “I said, over and over, ‘I don’t want to do this, stop, don’t,’ ” she said. “I tried to get away, but maybe I didn’t try hard enough. I didn’t want to kick him or fight him.” In the end, she said, “He’s a big guy. He overpowered me.” At a certain point, she said, “I just sort of gave up. That’s the most horrible part of it, and that’s why he’s been able to do this for so long to so many women: people give up, and then they feel like it’s their fault.”

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Rose McGowan, has all but accused him of rape as well.

I know she hasn’t put the whole story out there with his name attached to it, so this advances the story, but the accusation was there for all to see.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

He should be in prison. He may still get there.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

The outrage and tragedy is apparent, but what I find most interesting is the idea of the open secret. Over and over, both nationally and in smaller communal groups, a scandal will break and everyone, even relative outsiders, says that they knew about it for decades and so did everyone else. To use examples big enough to be common to us all, Cosby, Weinstein, Catholic priests etc. you would think that by now the reaction to all these has been one sided enough, and the journalistic field have been flattened enough so that someone could start doing this pre-emptively. So who's the next one?

5. Double Down

Mic is in your hands, NBC.

6. YankeeFan

Was just going to post this.

I thought Farrow at NBC and the New Yorker were both working this story separately. Why was he working on it for the New Yorker?

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Nah. If it gets to court, that's when Lisa Bloom's "photos of Harvey being friendly with his accusers" defense comes into play. He is a disgusting criminal and that's plain for all to see, but this never results in a conviction. (Unless we find out one of the victims was clearly underage.)

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That’s when The Poin Files nails him!

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Um, you've been around here long enough to know, that's not how it works.

10. YankeeFan

The New Yorker twitter feed is incredible, and devastating.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, I am a bit rusty, Poin. I forgot what 6 meant!

12. Double Down

Your daily reminder that the New York Post is a garbage publication.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.