1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

No I wasn't.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

"You just have to wonder" if you were...

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yes, it does.

As follows, the poster would be arguing that "they let you do it" means, unquestionably, that it "isn't assault":

Cue some of our male posters to ignore decades of women describing the emotional trauma and freeze-ups that come with these sorts of assaults to explain that "they let you" means it isn't assault.

Now, as follows, which represents my actual position, the poster is arguing that "they let you do it" may mean it is assault, but it may also mean it isn't:

Cue some of our male posters to ignore decades of women describing the emotional trauma and freeze-ups that come with these sorts of assaults to explain that "they let you" arguably means it isn't assault.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

"They let you", coming from Trump in that context, is semantically equal to "They couldn't stop me".

5. Dick Whitman

I don't care if Jack the Ripper said it. That's too many dots to connect for stating it as an established fact in a work of journalism.

6. Dick Whitman

And this is not some iconclastic, contrarian position I'm taking. At least not anywhere but here or among other liberals and assorted anti-Trump people. I surmise that the vast, vast majority of publications did not state as established fact in their publications that Trump "bragged about sexual assault." Because it's not an established fact.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I was responding to that link in the New York Post that was saying she was opportunistic after she went to the police, not cooperating with the prosecutor until first her manager went to Weinstein and tried to leverage it into a part in a movie.

My response was: you have to wonder if she is opportunistic. Christ. ... She was publicly involved in the Silvio Berlusconi scandal, too.

Her being opportunistic and Harvey Weinstein being a creep who grabbed her breasts or tried to sexually assault her aren't mutually exclusive.

This isn't the first time you have done this. You create a cartoonish absolute that ignores what the person actually posted, and do a shitty morally superior post in which you put words in their mouth. No, I didn't say, "She deserved it!" And I am not victim blaming. Stop.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If you listen to him describe his attempt to score with Nancy O'Dell, he doesn't describe coming out of a hotel bathroom with an erection, or asking her for a massage.

His big move is to take her furniture shopping.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Several of the women assaulted by Weinstein ended up just 'letting him do it'.
    https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/harvey-weinstein-used-coercion-the-oldest-trick-in-the-1819326595

Lucia Evans
    “At that point, after that, is when he assaulted me,” Evans said. “He forced me to perform oral sex on him.” As she objected, Weinstein took his penis out of his pants and pulled her head down onto it. “I said, over and over, ‘I don’t want to do this, stop, don’t,’ ” she said. “I tried to get away, but maybe I didn’t try hard enough. I didn’t want to kick him or fight him.” In the end, she said, “He’s a big guy. He overpowered me.” At a certain point, she said, “I just sort of gave up. That’s the most horrible part of it, and that’s why he’s been able to do this for so long to so many women: people give up, and then they feel like it’s their fault.”

Asia Argento
    “[Weinstein] asks me to give a massage. I was, like, ‘Look man, I am no fucking fool,’ ” Argento said. “But, looking back, I am a fucking fool. And I am still trying to come to grips with what happened.”

Argento said that, after she reluctantly agreed to give Weinstein a massage, he pulled her skirt up, forced her legs apart, and performed oral sex on her as she repeatedly told him to stop. Weinstein “terrified me, and he was so big,” she said. “It wouldn’t stop. It was a nightmare.”

At some point, Argento said, she stopped saying no and feigned enjoyment, because she thought it was the only way the assault would end. “I was not willing,” she told me. “I said, ‘No, no, no.’ . . . It’s twisted. A big fat man wanting to eat you. It’s a scary fairy tale.” Argento, who insisted that she wanted to tell her story in all its complexity, said that she didn’t physically fight him off, something that has prompted years of guilt.

“The thing with being a victim is I felt responsible,” she said. “Because if I were a strong woman, I would have kicked him in the balls and run away. But I didn’t. And so I felt responsible.” She described the incident as a “horrible trauma.” Decades later, she said, oral sex is still ruined for her. “I’ve been damaged,” she told me. “Just talking to you about it, my whole body is shaking.”

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Now describe him walking in on the naked teenage girls at the beauty pageant.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Sounds creepy. I'd need to know more.

I was back stage at a fashion show once -- with Donald Trump, ironically. There was nothing creepy about it. There isn't a dressing room. Models are hurriedly getting changed right off stage.

If you have to go back stage, you're going to see women getting changed.

Now, if you just hang around gawking -- like one future NYC mayoral candidate did -- that's creepy, and people notice.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Was just about to post the same thing.

They clearly consented, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.