1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

see, that's a reasonable response. I understand her hating Weinstein till he burns in hell and I also empathize with her plight. But she's now throwing haymakers at the Afflecks and at Matt Damon and not all of it seems warranted. She has every right to complain, but it doesn't give her carte blanche to throw shade at anyone she thinks -- without proof -- somehow enabled him. That's all. It's now like everyone associated with Miramax is complicit, but is that necessarily so? I'd like to hear from Damon on this.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

She says she specifically told Affleck. Now Affleck wants to pretend to be shocked.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm confused at how taking a settlement reflects poorly on McGowan. I work in civil litigation, and this is how people seek to be compensated. It is what humans use universally as currency. Were all the "Spotlight" kids supposed to let bygones be bygones because the Catholic Church paid them off? I don't get it.

YankeeFan, Big Circus and Double Down like this.
  4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

He also looks a lot like, you know, Mia Farrow ...

[​IMG]

YankeeFan likes this.
  5. CD Boogie

you're replying to an imaginary post.

6. Dick Whitman

"Taking the money sure didn't help matters."

What did I misrepresent?

7. CD Boogie

She is entitled to her money. She got it. And for 20 years, other women were subjected to similar treatment and now she is raining shit on anyone associated with Weinstein. It just smacks of self-righteous. The blame lies with Weinstein.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

My wife hasn't been following this closely. I told her today that Damon is implicated in the NYT strong-arm maneuver. She was crushed.

He seems like one Hollywood person who has stayed decent and normal.

10. Dick Whitman

The Affleck "TRL" thing is pretty incredible. If you don't believe society is progressing, at least on some fronts, keep in mind that that was considered playful grab-assing just a decade or two ago, such that it played out on live TV without incident. Compare to the Trump sexual assault discussion on politics, where I am basically on an island by simply arguing that a journalist shouldn't write as an established fact that, "Trump boasted about committing sexual assault."

When I see the Affleck clip, I think it's wrong, wrong, wrong.

And I also think, Gulp, I wonder if I did something like that in the '90s, too, and didn't think twice about it.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I would encourage her to read the whole thing.

And also, this tweet. How does this square with her previous statement that Damon "helped get the piece killed?"

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yes. I just read it. I believe Damon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.