1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know if there is that much difference between Hefner and Weinstein. Perhaps the only difference was that Hefner was upfront about the transactional nature of his relationships and typically wasn't "one and done" with them.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm so glad this idiot evolved from a conservative to a liberal.

You guys can have him, and we're not taking him back.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

What if we agree to release Boom70 from the Fortress of Solitude where we are currently holding him prisoner, making him watch soccer?

What then?

SnarkShark likes this.
  4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Boom is on an island teaching players waived by the NBA and NHL how to play soccer

5. DanOregon

I do agree than Farrow's connection to Weinstein might be a little too close for comfort. His dad is a business partner of the guy. How much of this story did he learn before he decided to be a journalist?

6. Double Down

Huge difference between "learning" and "proving" right? Let's say, for the sake of argument, before Ronan and his father became estranged, Woody told him all kinds of tales about what a monster Harvey was. (Weird he would do that since Woody also seems something of a predator, but whatever. We're rolling here.) So now dad's connections have helped Ronan understand that all these rumors everyone had heard over the years are likely true. What then?

You still have to do a shit ton of reporting. Digging. Convincing. He somehow convinced MacGowan to talk, on camera, before she withdrew her permission after Weinstein threatened her. He did a bunch more reporting, getting someone to give him that audio that the NYPD had from the wire worn. He had to get someone to confirm the NDAs, in a way that would satisfy the New Yorker legal department. He had to convince close to a dozen people to talk to him, on the record, and detail what happened to them.

How does Woody Allen factor into this at all?

YankeeFan likes this.
  7. Double Down

Boom is running an adult soccer league in North Hempstead? I hope Jerome James and Eddie Curry are getting along with Sean Avery.

8. DanOregon

I'm just saying it's awkward. One of those things you could mull over for an hour at a media seminar. Say someone is in a relationship with someone. They meet the folks, hear stories or whatever. Relationship ends. The person becomes a reporter a year or two later and uses that info for a big story. I'm not saying the journalism isn't sound, just that the circumstances aren't "clean." Taking down the guy who releases your estranged father's movies? The guy responsible for rehabilitating his career?

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

If the shoe fits...

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

He and Harvey both wanted to get to the bottom of it.

Only one of those two is the bad guy.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

None of them were visibly upset -- that was all part of the gag.

SnarkShark likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.