1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

"...out of five." That's a great line that I doubt many got at the time. 30 Rock is such an underrated show.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

YF: Have you denounced Roger Ailes?

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Simply being offended isn’t enough?

4. YankeeFan

Not sure I’ve done it publicly, but yes, I denounce him.

He used his power and influence over careers in much the same manner as Weinstein.

It’s evil.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Nope.

He's an ardent anti-abortion congressman arguing publicly in favor of outlawing the very procedure he's asking his mistress to undergo privately.

The hypocrisy adds a high degree-of-difficulty multiplier.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Is the answer to that high degree-of-difficulty multiplier longer than 8 to the 8th to the 8th?

7. YankeeFan

OK. I'm outraged, but not surprised.

But, let's not pretend his hypocrisy outpaces Harvey's.

Are you still stuck on offended in his case, or can we get you to muster some outrage?

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Again, Harvey Weinstein is a movie producer, and the casting couch goes back to the days of Sophocles. Harvey Weinstein is rotten to the core.

But what false morality is Harvey Weinstein trying to write into law?

These are phony equivalencies.

Like comparing the Catholic Church to Hollywood. Or comparing someone who donates money to a party with someone who actually holds elective office.

Roger Ailes is the correct comparison (although he also tried to sell America a false morality via Fox News, so is entitled to the hypocrisy multiplier).

It is therefore excruciatingly funny to watch the haircuts and scolds on Fox News - many of whom owe their jobs to a serial sexual predator - talk about Harvey Weinstein's predatory nature without irony.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

In the race to be crowned the world's biggest cesspool, can we at least all agree it's a tie between Washington and Hollywood?

HC likes this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I understand the "you got one of ours - we got one of yours" of the coverage- but "they" didn't get one from the left. The NYT and New Yorker and New York magazine "got" all of them.
    And really I don't think anyone is shedding tears over Weinstein's demise the way Fox News did with Ailes.
    Tucker Carlson is one of the more interesting characters. He's tried to pass himself off as some sort of junior version of George Will, then he launched a news site that wanted to be "nutritional" and not just be a red-meat, conspiracy spewing megaphone and that has since gone in the tank for Trump.
    This article from 2011 still holds up.
    The Great Right Hype

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Tucker realized, like Clay Travis and friends, there is way more money in going fully in the tank for the crazies and racist, even if you yourself are just playing a character.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I had set the over/under on "Pages Until 'This Shows How Evil Conservatives Are'" at 43 ... who took the under?

SpeedTchr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.