1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Hey, at least Murphy didn't drown some woman. He has that going for him.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I’ll mark you down for lacking outrage regarding Harvey.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Stop trolling.

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Listened to the Jodi Kantor podcast on Slate. (As an aside, damn you all for making me listen to Slate.)

What stuck out with me is her comment that there was little overlap in her story and in Farrow's. Incredible, and not in a good way.

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. YankeeFan

I’m sorry, are you outraged?

You haven’t said so, or exhibited it.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The word "outrage" implies not only anger, but shock.

I am not shocked.

9. YankeeFan

I'm not sure I agree that shock must be a component of outrage.

What says the board?

out·rage
    ˈoutˌrāj/
    noun
    1. 1.
      an extremely strong reaction of anger, shock, or indignation.
      "her voice trembled with outrage"
      synonyms: indignation, fury, anger, rage, disapproval, wrath, resentment
      "widespread public outrage"

verb
    1. 1.
      arouse fierce anger, shock, or indignation in (someone).
      "he was outraged at this attempt to take his victory away from him"
      synonyms: enrage, infuriate, incense, anger, scandalize, offend, give offense to, affront, shock, horrify, disgust, appall
      "his remarks outraged his parishioners"
    outrage - Google Search

Stoney likes this.
  10. YankeeFan

11. YankeeFan

I don't believe Bob Weinstein, and have no sympathy for him.

Bob was in a singular position to do something about Harvey, and he did nothing.

His response to the people who had to deal with Harvey's yelling, screaming, bullying was to tell them to quit.

That's great Bob. Way to fight for your employees.

I'll tell you what I did know. Harvey was a bully, Harvey was arrogant, he treated people like shit all the time. That I knew. And I had to clean up for so many of his employee messes. People that came in crying to my office: “Your brother said this, that and the other.” And I'd feel sick about it.

Why did you tolerate his behavior?

Because it didn't rise to a certain level. I would often counsel people and say, “You know what, you have a choice here. Leave. Leave, please leave.” I don't know why some of them stayed. So I would just try to mend a broken fence. There is no mending this. This is not a broken fence. [But] I will not quit and leave the business that I built, rightfully so, and leave the films and filmmakers that I was involved in.

But, here's the other thing, not only did Bob know what an asshole Harvey was, he pulled the same behavior.

Why else would a guy who kept an office in L.A. need to schedule an appointment at a hotel to discuss a cameo role in a movie with Lindsay Lohan?

Harvey literally scheduled meetings at hotels with actresses with the intent of sexually assaulting them.

And the idea that Bob thought Harvey, who was fat and ugly 30 years ago was having consensual sex with a bevy of Hollywood beauties is laughable.

That your brother is fat, ugly, arrogant, a bully, and treats people like shit, and he's also banging Hollywood hotties left and right does not reconcile itself.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Bob is jumping on the opportunity to deflect anything and everything away from him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.