1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Blue voters aren't necessarily smart.
    Trump fans are dummies.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Is there not a link between level of education and voting patterns in the 2016 election?

3. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

The claim made, that more educated people vote Democrat, is true.

Link? All right! (even though it is a little old, I suspect it is still accurate).

A Deep Dive Into Party Affiliation

Differences in partisan identification across educational categories have remained fairly stable in recent years, with one exception: Highly-educated people increasingly identify with or lean toward the Democratic Party.

About a third (34%) of those with a college degree or more education identify as Democrats, compared with 24% who identify as Republicans; 39% are independents. In 1992, Republicans held a seven-point lead among those with at least a college degree (34% to 27%), while 37% were independents.

Democrats now hold a 12-point lead (52% to 40%) in leaned party identification among those with at least a college degree, up from just a four-point difference as recently as 2010 (48% to 44%). There has been less change since 2010 in the partisan leanings of those with less education.

Currently, those who have attended college but have not received a degree lean Democratic 47% to 42%; Democrats hold a 10-point lead in leaned party identification among those with no more than a high school education (47% to 37%).

The Democrats' wide lead in partisan identification among highly-educated adults is largely the result of a growing advantage among those with any post-graduate experience. A majority (56%) of those who have attended graduate school identify with the Democratic Party or lean Democratic, compared with 36% who align with or lean toward the GOP.

Among those who have received a college degree but have no post-graduate experience, 48% identify as Democrats or lean Democratic, while 43% affiliate with the GOP or lean Republican.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

These two seem a little goofy, but what they went through was horrific.

Nonetheless, this is pretty funny:

5. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Found a more recent one.

Educational divide in vote preferences on track to be wider than in recent elections

In Pew Research Center’s August survey, registered voters with a college degree or more education favor Clinton over Trump by 23 percentage points (52% Clinton vs. 29% Trump) in a four-way contest that included Libertarian Party candidate Gary Johnson (supported by 11% of voters with at least a college degree) and Green Party candidate Jill Stein (4%).

By contrast, voters who do not have a college degree were more divided in their preferences: 41% backed Trump, 36% Clinton, 9% Johnson and 5% Stein.

If the gap between Clinton and Trump holds in November, it will be the widest educational divide in any election in the last several decades. And the current gap is particularly pronounced among white voters.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Hey, there's plenty of folks with fancy lernin' degrees who like Trump. They're still dummies.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

And unequivocally racist, as judging by their many comments I've read from them there.

BadgerBeer likes this.
  8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Well, to be fair, we all are. It's our culutural original sin. Well, one of them...

9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Nope, they knew exactly what they were doing. Most people my age are sick of politicians and the whole process. It needed an overhaul.

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Colossal load of bullshit? Let me spell this out. Yes there were many voters who voted strictly Republican and many voters who voted strictly Democrat as they do in EVERY election. However, the swing voters like myself sought change and we voted for Trump because he represented change from the same old way of politics as usual. Of course he benefited from Republican voters. But who he really benefited from was swing voters and swing states. It's not that complicated. As far as the results, I don't know a single person that voted for Trump who is unhappy with their vote, and I've asked where they stand now and it's exactly the same place as they stood Nov. 8.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It didn't need THIS overhaul, my friend. Vote in a 22-year-old poli-sci major instead.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

The "Semper Fidelis" march playing in the background is a nice touch here ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.