1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Let people do their own thing, keep government regulations out of one's personal activities. From a purely legal, secular viewpoint.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Define "personal activities"

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

First of all, thanks for posting that link, YF. Some of us in flyover country don't get to see that cultural elite newspaper unless links are posted here ... ;)

I lived close to Clinton, Iowa for seven years and went there dozens of times for my job. There's quite a few things the NYT article gets wrong:

1. The CITY of Clinton is not 97 percent white, as the article claims. Census data I found online had the city as 93 percent white in 2000 and 91 percent white in 2010. By Iowa standards, there are a significant number of black residents (1,297 blacks out of 25,388 residents, according to 2010 census data). Maybe the NYT meant to say the county is 97 percent white, which may be true.

2. The article acts like the entire state of Iowa went from blue to red in eight years. Western Iowa (anything west of Des Moines) has been overwhelmingly conservative for a long time — there's a reason Steve King is their congressional rep. The eastern side used to balance it out, but apparently that's changing in places like Clinton, Burlington and Mount Pleasant (home of Tom Vilsack).

3. Also glossed over in the article is how Clinton (and many small cities in eastern Iowa) used to be solidly union towns, helping the Dems. That started to change with Reagan, and the decline of manufacturing obviously took a lot of those jobs away, too. In short, people with just a high school diploma could make a decent living a generation ago, but not so much now. Similar situation to Wisconsin, Michigan, and other parts of the Midwest.

4. Can't resist ... if Clinton can't win a town with her own name on it, she must not me much of a presidential candidate!:)

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Hurricane Irma wrap-up:

GOP Lawmaker Says South Florida Nursing Home Victims Would Have Died Soon Anyway

"Look at the population," Baxley said yesterday, according to a news release the Florida Senate Democrats circulated today. "You're dealing with the 90-somethings. Some of these deaths would naturally occur, storm or no storm. Eventually, everyone who was in that nursing home will die. But we don't need to attribute those all to the storm and bad policy."

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Textbook case of regulator-regulated pipeline of personnel, and of a bill that supposedly does one thing but does exactly the opposite.

7. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Very good logic. Fucko will follow....
    We don't need health care... you are all going to die eventually.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I don't understand how anyone who believes in the Constitution can say a single word in defense of this man.

lakefront likes this.
  9. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

God, I hate Republicans

YankeeFan likes this.
  10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The pro-life party.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Remember Palin's death squads?

12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Dems prefer to kill people before they have a chance to get old. Saves all the hand-wringing later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.