1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Me, too'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Are boobs a direct equivalent of cock or penis? I’d probably say not, but maybe.

2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

At least you didn’t turn it into a debate about debates.

typefitter likes this.
  3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This is what my sister-in-law posted, and it kind of gets at the root of what I was struggling with, too: Do we diminish the effectiveness when we sweep large and "small" incidents indistinguishably into the same protest?

Me too. I felt guilty putting this out there because so many of my close friends have dealt with far worse than I but we shouldn't let the smaller and medium instances of sexual harassment go unnoticed because getting away with those is what leads to the "far worse." That's why I say Me Too.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

fair point. removing the tenuous simile, does what she did qualify as sexual harassment?

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Lugnuts I assume still posts here.
    HC still posts.

6. Dick Whitman

Question: What is "sexual harassment" now understood to mean? I was taught that it was a situation wherein the harasser holds power over the harrassee - the Weinstein situation. I'm thinking back to a night now when my brother, his wife, and I were walking back to our car after a race. Some drunk ass yells: "Nice tits!"

Sexual harassment?

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I do but I miss a lot of the women that used to be here regularly. And the people I know that are posting "Me too" are not talking about being catcalled or asked repeatedly on dates. They're talking about being touched against their wills, given the business I'm in they're talking about the 'casting couch' (both men AND women).

Riptide and Dyno like this.
  8. Dick Whitman

But could they be? Does it qualify?

9. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I’d think not. Just awkward? She didn’t ask you to look. Just made a comment about a body part that other people, not her, sexualized.

But, I could be convinced otherwise.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Depends who the target was.

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I can only speak for the women I know and I don't believe that qualifies. It certainly qualifies as male douchebaggery but for a long time women were taught that they should be flattered by the attention so some men got mixed signals. Not anymore, I hope.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

There have been several instances in the newsroom where raunchy and/or lewd talk broke out and women were present. One of them would give it right back, joking about "old man bits," limp french fries, etc. But it occurred to me at the time (and I'm thinking about it again now) maybe that was her defense mechanism, to appear as "one of the boys," but deep down she was annoyed, offended or hurt by it.

Newsrooms have been compared to high school locker rooms several times, and there's some validity there. This place, made up journalists and plenty of former journalists, has a similar vibe, for better or worse.

Donny in his element likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted