1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Me, too'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 15, 2017.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I was going to say something similar in my earlier post. This site is a 'male place' and women either have to accept that or leave. The objectification of women does wear you down as do the Poin files but you either decide that the other things you get from the site are worth it or, if the balance shifts, you leave.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

What 'sexual harassment' means is now context-dependent.

By the broadest definition, as a matter of language or culture or common sense, of course that drunk was sexually harassing your sister-in-law.

By the narrower legal / human resources department / board of conduct definition you cite, no.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I don't see 'me too' trending on facebook.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Bret Beilema

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That sounds about right. "Sexual harassment" probably always included, "Nice tits!" But sexual harassment is only actionable in the workplace power structure situation.

It's difficult to imagine there are too many women who couldn't post, "Me, too." Which is part of the point.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What Does A Typical Sexual Harasser Look Like? We Don’t Know.

The first challenge is that many harassers don’t see their actions as harassment, which makes them hard to identify and survey. An ABC News/Washington Post poll released in 2011 found that one in four women and one in 10 men say they’ve been sexually harassed at work, but only 10 percent of men reported that they’ve said or done things that might be construed as sexual harassment. “To do research on harassers, you need people who will say, ‘Yes, this is something that I’ve done,’” Blackstone said. “If harassers don’t recognize their actions as harassment, that’s not possible.”

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It can, but only if a co-worker tells her that she is making him or her uncomfortable with that type of humor and she continues.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I stopped going to the gas station/convenient store near work a few weeks ago because the older woman who worked behind the register kept making uncomfortable cracks to me about how I must be "coming to see her."

I can't imagine how much women have to deal with that shit. I know a 40-something guy who is always posting photos on his Facebook of him with Hooters waitresses: "Hanging out with the lovely Hannah today! She's a great person and a great friend!" Couple guys like that, in fact.

Gives you the creepy crawlies just to see it.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I've always found those "he wouldn't take 'no' for an answer, so I finally gave in" stories incredibly creepy.

10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

FTFY. Have to answer the same as you, never been accused, would be shocked if I was. Had a girl grab my ass at a party in college. Was a girl who went out with a guy I played baseball with, although at the time they weren't going out.

Edit: in replying was using the definition of sexual assault as grabbing or touching someone without consent. saw DW's reply, not going to count up the times of kissing someone without asking "Can I kiss you?"

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I used to work with an incredibly gorgeous woman, who was the only other person around my age in the newsroom, so we used to hang out all the time after work.

That usually meant walking into bars after midnight, at which time every douchebag in the place would take a run at her. Usually, there was no touching other than a tap on the shoulder, and she was always polite when she told them all to fuck off. But it was constant, and insistent, sometimes vulgar, and always invasive.

I don't know how she dealt with that all the time, and think she has the inalienable right to live her life without being subjected to that.

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Makes sense

Draft saved Draft deleted