1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Me, too'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 15, 2017.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Exposed? Sounds like the guy dodged a bullet with her

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Nobody wants to talk about this, but a whole lot of women are titilated by varying forms of male dominance in the bedroom. It's a fine line to walk, but it never seems to be acknowledged in these discussions.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That’s not it, though. The character is truly an emotional abuser, forbidding her from speaking to her family and such.

4. SnarkShark

I've never read the books or watched the movies, but I have them DVR'd. I'll watch them some day.

My point stands, though. And I'm not talking about full-on BDSM, necessarily.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Some women (and some men) are turned on by some fucked up shit. Doesn’t have diddly to do with what’s been dealt with (as I understand it) with the “me, too” push.

6. SnarkShark

I'm not talking about fucked up shit. Maybe I'm overstepping, but I don't think I am. I've talked to a lot of women about it, actually, but it's obviously anecdotal.

A large portion of women like to be, for the lack of a better word, controlled in the bedroom. It came to the surface through the 50 shades phenomenon.

Why is that, and don't you think it should be explored? It seems to be in conflict with other aspects of the feminist movement.

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

What turns people on sexually often doesn't translate to the rest of their life. I remember a theory back in the 70's that because women still get mixed messages about expressing their sexuality, dominance/rape fantasies remove any element of guilt for them. I have no idea if it's true and have never read the 50 Shades books because nobody gets murdered in a Nordic country in them, I'm told. Who knows why anybody does anything?

Donny in his element likes this.
  8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think we are headed down an uncomfortable and unrelated road here. Women like to play out those fantasies ***in the bedroom***. With the person they've chosen to play them out. This conversation involves women who didn't choose.

CD Boogie, cyclingwriter2 and HC like this.
  9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

10. doctorquant

All I know is, even if it was a lead-pipe cinch that a woman I knew was into Fifty Shades ... it’d still be hands-off and act-like-a-gentleman for me.

11. SnarkShark

I agree. Dick bringing up 50 shades made me think of it. I found the 50 shades phenomena pretty interesting through the lens of sociology.

12. doctorquant

Ex-fucking-zactly.

Draft saved Draft deleted