1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Me, too'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 15, 2017.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

YankeeFan likes this.
  3. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Barstool is a cesspool.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

One problem with this campaign is that the people participating (at least from what I've seen) are mostly the exactly same people who participate in solidarity with every single liberal slacktivist social media campaign. That's not to minimize their experiences, although their experiences range from being whistled at to being violently raped. But I always think about the scene in Dave Eggers' novel "The Circle" (book was great, movie sucked) in which the main character works up the courage to press "like" in order to raise awareness for genocide. People who actually need to hear the message tend to tune them out.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  6. CD Boogie

I think we've had this discussion before, Snark. I like some of their content -- including Pardon My Take podcast -- but those guys say more offensive things in an evening's sleep than Jemelle Hill has said in her whole life. No way that partnership lasts.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd like to see more names. For the sake of outing those still working in the business, and for those who have conducted themselves professionally. Right now - the nameless directors and producers being referred to by actors in their confessionals are still getting jobs and putting people at risk.
    It would be nice to have a director or producer come out and admit to behavior they realize was and is wrong with actors unprompted.
    Right now people are hearing stories and checking IMDB against the timeframe to figure out who these people might be.

I'd say it might even be more "helpful" if one of the next people outed as doing this stuff was someone seen as a "good guy" in the industry and beyond. I imagine many are hoping all the dismay is hurled at someone like Weinstein who nobody liked anyway.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

9. Dick Whitman

He was. His name is Ben Affleck, and everyone has avoided stating the obvious about what he is accused of.

10. CD Boogie

Not to excuse his behavior wholesale, but Affleck is also an addict who has a well-known history with alcohol and pills, and in that clip he looks clearly messed up. I say this only to distinguish between a sober predator like Weinstein and a sometimes inebriated jackass like Affleck. I mean, we all remember his f-bombathon on Any Given Wednesday. Simmons sure does; it was the show's high-water mark.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The talk show thing? Please - I'm not dismissing it - but there are far worse actions by bigger names - and it isn't like the Affleck name hasn't already been dragged through the mud. I'm talking about someone doing something that would put a taint on a beloved movie or franchise, cause a TV show to be cancelled. There was a guy on the BBC a few years back, Jimmy Saville - knighted by the Queen and the Pope - someone like that.

12. Dick Whitman

The “talk show thing,” universally termed “sexual assault” when Donald Trump copped to it despite implying consent.

But “the talk show thing” this time around.

FileNotFound and YankeeFan like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted