1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Me, too'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think that's part of what's happened, too.

And there's this: There are white male journalists who like appropropriating liberal female and minority views in a way that's ultimately patronizing and/or patriarchal. Mostly, they just like retweeting millennial women essayists and seeming progressive. It requires no thought or effort to do this and it's no less rooted in tribalism and identity politics than your standard Trumpite trotting out cliches.

And the cumulative effect is: We got Trump. Americans were concern trolled to such a spectacular degree for so many years that we end up with this asshole, because, to many voters, at least he's exactly the asshole he presents himself to be.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    Dick Whitman likes this.
  2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I've seen this up close in the magazine business, among other places. At the same time, I am reminded of an anecdote someone wrote when Bob Dole ran for president -- that as a matter of civility and appearances he never traveled alone with a female staffer.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Another big star.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Did she "reveal[]" it or did she "allege" it? "Variety" presumes the veracity of her account. The thing is, it isn't that difficult to narrow down which directors Reese Witherspoon worked with at age 16, right?

Reese Witherspoon opened up about her own experience with sexual assault on Monday night.

Speaking at Elle’s Women in Hollywood event in Beverly Hills, the Oscar winner revealed that she had been sexually assaulted by a director when she was just 16 years old.

How it should have been written:

Speaking at Elle’s Women in Hollywood event in Beverly Hills, the Oscar winner alleged that she had been sexually assaulted by a director when she was just 16 years old.

6. Dick Whitman

7. Dick Whitman

8. Dick Whitman

9. Dick Whitman

10. Dick Whitman

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Do you want separate denunciations for each of those, or will a blanket denunciation be sufficient?

SpeedTchr likes this.
  12. Dick Whitman

It's a very troubling trend.

Draft saved Draft deleted