1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Me, too'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Isn't that the way we do it at the White House?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't understand why this makes a difference.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Because she didn't actually accuse somebody particular of sexually assaulting her. She said it happened, but didn't accuse anybody of the crime. That last bit seems to be giving you trouble.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

In the absence of an accused is it even an accusation?

I see an awful lot of "Reese Witherspoon claims/claimed/says/said/alleges" when I search, too.

Are you cherry picking headlines, Dick?

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I've never seen so much discussion of one word.

"Reveal"l doesn't ascertain the truth, or not, of a fact or series of events; it just lets events out into the open, puts them up for discussion, etc., when, it implies, that they weren't before.

Its use is, perhaps, particularly appropriate, even, in the case of a famous and otherwise widely known (or thought to be widely known) star performer.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He is pointing out the ones that are objectively wrong.

7. outofplace

Dickie does love those narrow arguments. But when he writes, he usually wins, so who are we to argue? :)

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

He's gathering evidence for his case against the conspiracy of virtue signaling in our national debate over sexual assault.

9. Dick Whitman

In what way does that matter? If some outlets got it right, that doesn't exonerate those that got it wrong.

Dick Whitman: Holy shit! The Boston Globe reports that Dave Dombrowski killed John Farrell! That's a huge error!

Azrael: Dude, the Washington Post accurately reports that he fired Farrell. Why are you cherry-picking?

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't even know what you're arguing anymore. Then I read sentences like this ...

... and I realize you don't either.

11. Dick Whitman

Reese Witherspoon revealed on Tuesday that she was sexually assaulted by Steven Spielberg.

12. outofplace

On this narrow point, I agree with you.

So, who did she accuse of a crime again?

Draft saved Draft deleted