1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Did you blink, too?

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Even this is silly.

He criticized a political activist, who criticized him, from the stage of the Democratic National Convention.

That's it.

That's not a history of demeaning or attacking Gold Star families.

The Democrats used this man, and his wife, specifically because they assumed they would be immune from any criticism. Do you support politicizing Gold Star families in this manner?

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yes. Hence beginning the post, "I'm going to hate myself for this[.]"

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm just trying to keep y'all's crap from getting this thing locked. I'd miss our little community within a community.

BadgerBeer likes this.
  5. Dick Whitman

YF's making a perfectly reasonable point here, and he's right about it. And he's getting accused of "trolling" and people are losing their shit. I don't feel like it's "stirring the pot" to point that out. Republicans, again, control nearly every level of government, from city councils to the White House. So where is all the indignance getting everyone at this point?

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Speaking of Gold Star families ...

CNN Airs Gut-Wrenching Interview with Gold Star Family Who Never Heard from Trump

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

More than any of us, Gold Star families have earned the right to make full use of the 1st Amendment. I think families on both sides of the spectrum have used their platform to great effect. They have credibility few leaders do.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  8. YankeeFan

Again, if Trump claimed to call every family, and didn't then it's fair to point this out.

I do think it's funny how indignant the press got, immediately, in defense of President Obama (and Bush).

So, if you're going to point out how wrong Trump was, are you going to contact the families of those who died on their watch, and let us know how often they did call?

9. Dick Whitman

This is a version of, "The default is to believe the accuser in sexual assault cases." You get to excuse yourself from any obligation to apply critical thinking.

10. YankeeFan

Sure. But, when you do it from the stage of the DNC, you are immediately and inherently making it political.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

LOL.

Now that that's out of the way, we DO know one thing: He said something that was considered wildly inappropriate and disrespectful by both the soldier's widow and mother.

12. YankeeFan

I can't spell or type well! You know that!

Double Down likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.